Stone Mountain is a beautiful city located in DeKalb County, Georgia, United States of America. Stone Mountain has an area of 1.64 square miles and a population of 5.800 residents, according to a recent study. The town got its name from a nearby mountain, also called Stone Mountain, an important tourist attraction of the area. The city of Stone Mountain was settled in 1839 and was initially named New Gibraltar. In 1847, it finally adopted the name of Stone Mountain. If you want to visit Georgia, you should include a stop in this city. It has beautiful landscapes and wonderful points of interest.
Top Attractions within Stone Mountain
Stone Mountain Park is the number one attraction in the area. The park is the home of a large granite quarry and of beautiful natural areas, including the Stone Mountain. Thanks to its beauty, the park attracts each year about 4 million visitors to the city. The attraction also has a lot of recreating possibilities and is perfect for a family day out in the nature.
Stone Mountain Golf Course hosts two public golf courses located in Stone Mountain. Each course has 18 holes and both are situated in a scenic part of the city. The courses are appropriate for golfers no matter their skills level. The facility also includes a restaurant and a golf shop, where you can buy everything you need to play.
Stone Mountain Antique Car and Treasure Museum is a unique place from the city. In this museum you can enjoy a beautiful collection of antique cars and not only cars. Inside this Stone Mountain attraction you will find a lot of treasures left behind by former residents of the city.
Big Joy is a Chinese restaurant you can enjoy in Stone Mountain. The service is great and the atmosphere is relaxing. The portions are large and the prices are medium. The cook masters the stir-fry specialties and offers a great beef with broccoli.
The Stone Mountain city takes its name after its main attraction, the Stone Mountain a large dome shaped mountain composed of granite rock. The Stone Mountain city lies in the two counties of Gwinnett and DeKalb and is in the Georgia state. The Stone Mountain is the biggest granite dome of North America and is a must visit place in the city.
1. The Stone Mountain: The Stone Mountain, besides being the biggest granite dome is also an attraction for the visitors in the city. The dome is famous for its carvings as well of the Confederate heroes. The circumference of this granite dome is about eight kilometers. There is a park to relax and view the gigantic dome.
2. Fernbank Science Center: This science center is situated in one part of the 65 acres of forest and is an interesting place to learn about the world of nature. The center enlightens its visitors about nature through its community outreach programmes, the interactive displays, and lectures. Bird walks, and planetarium are the other attractions of this science center.
3. Stone Mountain Park: Visitors can reach the park by driving from the downtown Atlanta and the huge area of the park offers great varieties of activities for visitors. Camping, hiking trails, golf courses, and places for picnicking are some of the attractions at the park.
4. Old South: The Old South in the city of Stone Mountain is a famous preserve of wildlife and is also a petting farm. It is an ideal place for families with children who can meet some of the residents of the petting farm and professionals are available to answer all your questions.
5. Michael C Carlos Museum: The art department of Emory University manages this museum. There are different works of art on display recognized internationally. Some of the exhibits included Ancient Egyptian, Asian Art, Greek and Roman displays. There is a museum bookshop where you can purchase books about the exhibits you have enjoyed.