Summerville is a nice town in the state of South Carolina, United States, located more exactly in Dorchester County. The history of Summerville goes back to the American Revolutionary War, when the first settlement began. In 1847, Summerville became an official town and it started to develop. Now, there are 43,392 people inhabiting Summerville, according to the 2010 census, making it an important part of the Charleston - Summerville Metropolitan Area. Summerville is also a great place to visit, since it will show every tourist an amazing time.
Top Attractions within Summerville
The Flowertown Festival is one of the most popular events hosted by the town of Summerville. The first edition of the festival was held in 1941. Since then, thousands of people gather in Summerville every year to be part of the largest arts and crafts festival in the state. If you find yourself in Summerville the first weekend of April, make sure you do not miss it.
The Colonial Dorchester State Historic Site is the place where you have the chance to see the remains of the old tabby fort. The site will truly take you back in history, as it dates back to the times of the Indian and French War. The park also features cabins and campgrounds.
Legend Oaks Plantation is one of the most beautiful golf facilities you have ever seen. The 18-hole regulation length golf course will provide exciting and challenging experiences for golfers of all levels, while those who do not play can enjoy a satisfying meal at the restaurant.
Eclectic Chef is a great restaurant in Summerville, focusing on American cuisine and serving spectacular food. The venue is especially suited for lunch, since the diverse menu offers a wide variety of fresh soups, tasty salads and gourmet sandwiches.
Oscar's Place is the dining venue in Summerville that will satisfy every taste bud. With great Seafood, Steakhouse and American cuisine, this restaurant will surely please your heart. Not to mention the great atmosphere and friendly, professional staff.
Summerville is full of entertainment and activities for tourists. It offers a variety of shopping opportunities and is well known for its extensive with antique and boutique shops. If you are looking for something unusual you are sure to find it here.
1. Visit the Legend Oaks Golf Club: Featuring a conventional layout, the golf club is located near the antebellum plantation. The golf course features 18 hole play that even provides professional players with a challenge. Golf lessons are also available but pre-booking is advisable.
2. Spend a day at VIP Adventures: This is a professionally guided tour, which provides tourists and fishermen with an exciting range of fishing expeditions dependent on ability and preference. All equipment including rods and safety equipment are provided by VIP Adventures and prices depend on the length and type of excursion booked.
3. Go to the Azalea Park: Comprising of a 12 acres big oasis which is surrounded by ponds, pine trees and azaleas, this park is a relaxing setting for visitors. The park also features walking paths, amphitheatre, picnic spots and several tennis courts. This is also the venue for the festivals like Flower town and Sculpture of the south.
4. Go to the Summerville speedway: This is the most popular place among the tourists. The NASCAR race held here every Saturday night, in between March to November is the main attraction. Apart from witnessing the NASCAR racing the tourists can even enjoy go-cart and mini car racing.
5. Colonial Dorchester State Historic Site: The site has been listed on the national register of historic places and is a haven of archaeological excavations. Visitors can watch as the settlement is uncovered by resident archaeologists and also have a go themselves! The site gives visitors a great insight into colonial times of the South