Did you know that Topeka is also known as the Top City?
Best way to travel: Car
#1 thing to do: Lake Shawnee
#2 thing to do: Old Prairie Town at Ward Meade Historic Site
#3 thing to do: Topeka Zoological Park
Fun Fact: The city is well known for the landmark United States Supreme Court case Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka, which overturned Plessy vs. Ferguson and declared segregation in public schools on account of race to be unconstitutional.
Whether you are visiting Topeka for a vacation or just over the weekend there are many things that you can do to have fun. Unique shopping and a variety of restaurants or events give this city a well rounded appeal.
1. Tour a historic site: Find out how life in Kansas back in the 1880's is so different from today. The Old Prairie Town historical site reproduces a Kansas pioneer town complete with an early 1890's one room schoolhouse, as well as homes, cabins and offices from the same period.
2. Visit the Capitol: If you have never been to the state capitol, here is your chance. With stories about the murals in the building, and the chambers for the Senate and House of Representatives, tours are available to take a look around the Capitol building. For more information on the Capitol click on the link.
3. Shop Downtown: Nearby to the State Capitol, Downtown Topeka is a bustling district filled with many historical attractions. The growing downtown area is gaining many new restaurants, shops and entertainment venues.
4. Play in the Park: A great place to unwind with the family is Gage Park. This 160 acre land has a zoo included, along with a theatre, small train ride and carousel and many other recreational facilities for all to use.
5. Night on the town: After a fun filled day in Topeka, finish off the night with clubs or live music and dancing. Sports bars are located within the city, and for some extra fun, take a trip to the casinos just north of the city.