Truckee Car Rental Comparison: Find your top car hire needs all in one place
Did you know that Truckee was originally called “Coburn Station”?
Best Way to Travel: Train, Car
#1 Thing to do: Tahoe Donner Golf Course
#2 Thing to do: Tahoe Donner
#3 Thing to do: Sierra Air Helicopter Tours
Fun Fact: There are no four-year universities in Truckee.
#1 Car Rental Company: Hertz
5 Things You Must Do in Truckee
Truckee, California is a town of about 15,000 on the California-Nevada border. The town is most famous for its location near the site where the Donner party became trapped in 1846-1847.
1. Visit Donner Memorial State Park. The park not only commemorates the sacrifices of the ill-fated Donner party, but is also a fabulous place to see geology in action with various types of rock exposed by the earth's movement. Fishing, camping, hiking trails and a museum are just a few of the attractions this park offers.
2. SkiNorthstar-at-Tahoe. This ski resort in Truckee has terrain for everyone, from beginner to expert. Whether you like downhill, cross country, snowboarding, tubing, or riding snowmobiles, you will have fun in the snow at this resort.
3. Come to the snow festival! In early March the communities along the north shore of Lake Tahoe celebrate. A torchlight parade, fireworks, and laser show are favorites, but don't forget concerts, dog pulls, and even a luau in the snow!
4. Take a ride at the Tahoe Donner Equestrian Center. Private lessons or group rides are available, and on Friday nights they offer a barbeque trail and wagon ride. This is a great way to see the area at a more leisurely pace.
5. Golf at Coyote Moon. Sounds like a bar, but it's not. Coyote Moon is a fabulous 18-hole golf course situated on 250 acres that offers varied terrain and a challenge for any golfer. There is a bar and grill waiting for you when you're done, though.