Did you know that the first European settlers arrived in Vestal around 1785?
Best Way to Travel: Car, Bus
#1 Thing to do: Game-it Family Fun Center
#2 Thing to do: Kopernik Observatory and Space Education Center
#3 Thing to do: Family Hobby & Crafts
Fun Fact: Vestal is known for the heated auto-sales rivalry between the Millers and the Matthews.
#1 Car Rental Company: Hertz
Union, New York is located in the north-central part of the state. It has a beautiful location near both the Appalachian Mountains and the Susquehanna River.
1. Ride a carousel. Broome County, in which Union is located, has many carousels—6 within just a few miles. The oldest carousel, installed in 1920 in Binghamton, has recently been restored. It features more than 60 horses, a chariot, and a Wurlitzer organ.
2. Enjoy En-joie. Enjoie golf course is a public course that has hosted PGA events. A par 72, it was designed by Ernie Smith and has a slope rating of 130. Although busy in the peak summer months, you can play some very relaxing rounds in the shoulder seasons of spring and fall.
3. Immerse yourself in Irish culture. The Broome County Irish Festival arrives in June, with music, dancing, food, and beer! Vendors sell everything from food to musical instruments, and a portion of the very reasonable admission fee goes toward charity.
4. Play in the Susquehanna. This river, the longest on the east coast, provides a huge number of recreational opportunities. Hike, bike, fish or float. Especially in the summer, this long, lazy bend in the river near Union makes a perfect playground.
5. Get wild at the Ross Park Zoo. Opened in 1875, this 90-acre zoo has penguins and parrots, tortoise and teal. In the spring you're likely to see some “new arrivals” at the zoo. Admission is extremely reasonable, making this a can't-miss activity in the area.