Compare Rates to Book a Car Rental in Wausau
Wausau is a city and the county seat of Marathon County, Wisconsin, with a total population of 38.426 residents, according to the 2000 census. The Wisconsin River divides the city into two beautiful parts. The Wisconsin River is what first drew settlers to the area, which was known as Big Bull Flats, or Big Bull Falls, by the original French explorers.
In the 20th century, the economy was reformed and diversified by an insurance group called Employers Insurance of Wausau. In the late 1990s, the city tore down a number of aging buildings on a square in the center of downtown, creating what is known locally at the 400 Block, an open, grassy block with paved sidewalks crossing it.
5 Things You Must Do in Wausau
Originally, Wausau was a province of the Marathon Province of Wisconsin. The city of Wausau is situated at 89º38'W44º57'N, as per the geographical measurement with a height above the sea level of 1,195 feet (364.2 meters). The base river of Wisconsin splits the city of Wausau in two. Further, Wausau is a long drive 180 miles to the east of Minneapolis, Minnesota. Wausau has some of the finest tourist destinations and sighting seeing places.
1. The Art Gallery of Leigh Yawkey Woodson: This particular art gallery of Leigh Yawkey Woodson is mostly famous for its yearly “Birds in Art” presentation, which appropriately demonstrates modern creative demonstrations of distinctive birds.
2. Experience the Real American History in Langlade Gallery: The Langlade Historical Gallery is an amazingly appealing ancient art gallery known for its excellent array of American olden times. It efficiently displays the finest collections along with large amounts of outlooks and images of the establishing period of Langlade.
3. Metro Journey for Metropolitans: While tripping in Wausau, tourist cannot miss the metro ride that virtualizes its travelers across the outskirts of Wausau. The key transportation flair of metro transit is situated in the city center region of the Wausau Center Mall.
4. Witness the Safe Storages of the Marathon County in Wausau: The historical art gallery of Marathon County conserves the past and is also, the storehouse for all the stuffs pertained to Wausau and the Marathon County.
5. Feel the Thunder of Snow: Located to the south of Wausau, the Granite Peak Ski Resort, has a total of 74 snow sprints and is augmented at an altitude of 640 feet, offering great skiing for skiers.
Top Attractions Within Wausau
Granite Peak Ski Area is located just south of Wausau and it features 74 snow runs and 6 terrain parks as of 2011, and boasts 700 vertical feet. Its vertical rise makes it the third tallest ski area in the Midwest after Mount Bohemia and Lutsen Mountains. This place in Wausau is just great any time of year and in any season. In winter, you can come and ski here, while in summer you can enjoy a nice hike on the many trails.
Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum is a wonderful museum in Wausau, where the exhibitions rotate several times a year and they are very creative. The artwork and galleries run all throughout the year and are phenomenal. There is no cost to get in, other than making a donation. Artists from all over the world are represented in various mediums that showcase birds in art. Tourists can enjoy bronzes, oils, acrylics, watercolour, woodcarving, scratchboard, all displayed in a professionally-done museum setting.
Wausau Mine Co is a great eating spot in Wausau, where you can have all-American food, as well as specialities from around the world. All the products are made from the healthiest and freshest ingredients. There are many mouthwatering salads made with fresh spring mix or an iceberg mix, grilled chicken, baked cod, potato timbers, buffalo chicken strips. Here, in Wausau Mine Co, you have everything you need for a satisfying meal.