Incorporated in 1923, West Covina (population 111,500) is approximately twenty minutes east of Los Angeles. It is also near the Angeles National Forest and the San Bernardino National Forest. West Covina has received six "League of California Cities Helen Putnam Awards of Excellence" between 1997 and 2005, the most recent of which were in 2003 for "Community Services & Economic Development" and "Public Safety.” Live, play and compare the cheapest car rental in West Covina.
Did you know that West Covina was incorporated as an independent city in 1923 to prevent the city of Covina from building a sewage farm in the area?
Best way to travel: Car
#1 thing to do: Tina's Tavern
#2 thing to do: South Hills Country Club
#3 thing to do: Ridge Riders Park
Fun Fact: National League Football Quarterback Troy Aikman was born in West Covina who was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2006.
#1 Car Rental Company: Avis
1. Cultural activities- The Lakes Entertainment Center has Movies in the Park shown in the Civic Center Courtyard, and The Summer Concert Series is there every Thursday evening. The West Covina Street Festival and Farmers Market is every Saturday at Parkway Plaza.
2. San Gabriel Mountains- This range just north of the city offers an array of activities on the doorstep of one of the biggest urban areas in the U.S. Visitors can participate in skiing and snowshoeing, kayaking, rock and ice climbing, bicycling, camping, four-wheel driving, fishing, geocaching, hiking, mountain biking, running, and swimming.
3. California Polytechnic University- In nearby Pomona, the institution offers activities for students and the public alike. The W. Keith and Janet Kellogg University Art Gallery has exhibitions of art produced by students, faculty, and artists from around the globe. The Cal Poly Pomona theater department produces several productions a year. Cal Poly Pomona Downtown Center houses an art gallery and theater, and provides classes. The university is renowned for its Arabian horses, and has equestrian shows on first Sundays from September through June.
4. Minor League Baseball- The MiLB Lancaster JetHawks and Inland Empire 66ers play in fields near West Covina. The JetHawks are a Class A Advanced affiliate of the Arizona Diamondbacks, and the 66ers are a Class A Advanced affiliate of the Seattle Mariners.
5. Puddingstone Reservoir/Bonelli Regional Park- In nearby San Dimas, this facility offers cycling, fishing, picnicking, water sports, camping, equestrian paths, and an airfield, Also, Raging Waters amusement park is very close to the park.