Wilkesboro Car Rental Comparison
Wilkesboro is a lovely town located in North Carolina, United States. The county seat of Wilkes County, Wilkesboro has an area of 5.5 square miles and a population of more than 3,400 residents, according to the 2010 census. Located along the Yadkin River, Wilkesboro is well known for hosting the MerleFest festival. The town was first founded in 1800. Nowadays, Wilkesboro is a popular tourist destination among tourists arriving from all around the state.
Top Attractions within Wilkesboro
Tipton's Bar-B-Que is the best place to visit for both lunch and dinner. The menu of the location is however quite varied, including sandwiches and salads, but also pizza. Although the food served in this Wilkesboro spot is always tasty, the prices are great and really affordable for all visitors.
Havana Dream is an authentic, excellent Cuban restaurant. There is no way you will not spend a wonderful time in this Wilkesboro spot. The atmosphere is nice and causal, while the staff is really friendly.
Wilkes Heritage Museum is a place that should not be missed if you are interested in the medicine, military, but also early history of the area. The museum displays numerous artifacts and great collections. It currently is located in the old courthouse of the county, built in 1902. However, this Wilkesboro museum only opened in 1968.
The MerleFest Festival is one of the most important events to be hosted by the beautiful city. Held on Wilkesboro Wilkes Community College's campus, the music festival was named this way to honor Doc Watson's late son, Merle Watson. This is the largest folk festival in the United States, the event managing to draw a big number of fans in attendance.
The Edge Skate Park is a place not to be missed if you are going to be in Wilkesboro with your children. This is a great park, perfect for children of all ages. All visitors are going to have a great time in this location.
5 Things You Must Do in Wilkesboro
The county seat of Wilkes County, North Carolina since 1800, Wilkesboro's citizens were divided in loyalty during the Civil War. Now, Wilkesboro is a thriving community that hosts MerleFest each year, the U.S.'s largest folk and bluegrass festival.
1. Garden of the Senses: This attraction includes a 150-foot long brick wall that is a tactile experience for all to enjoy. Each segment of the wall represents a different letter of the alphabet. There is also a great collection of plants that will tickle all of your senses!
2. Robert Cleveland House: This is the oldest house in the county. Built in the 1770s and relocated to Wilkesboro for restoration, this historic home and its antiques show how life was lived hundreds of years ago.
3. The Wilkes County Heritage Museum: Daniel Boone and Tom Dooley are just two of the fascinating historical figures from the area of Wilkes County and North Carolina. At the Heritage Museum, you can learn about these people and more on a tour located in the old County Courthouse.
4. Wilkes Art Gallery: The Gallery offers 3,500 square feet of local and regional art. See what the region has to offer artistically, buy a new masterpiece, or and stretch your creativity in one of the Gallery's workshops or art classes.
5. Stone Mountain State Park: This National Natural Landmark is worth the drive to the nearby town of Traphill, North Carolina. There is something for every outdoorsman: fishing, hiking, camping—even rock climbing. There is also the Mountain Culture Exhibit, which gives visitors a taste of settlers' lives in the mountains.