Williston is located in the Williams County, in the State of North Dakota. As the county seat, Williston has a growing population, which numbers approximately 14,715 inhabitants. In the State of North Dakota, Williston occupies the ninth position in the category for largest cities. The city of Williston was established in 1887 and is named after a member of the Northern Pacific Railroad Company, Daniel Willis James.
Top Attractions within Williston
Lake Sakakawea is located near Williston and it offers numerous opportunities for people to enjoy water activities and other recreational possibilities. The lake is a actually a man-made reservoir for the Missouri River. During the warmer seasons, many events take place on and around the lake. The ground around the lake forms the Lake Sakakawea State Park, in which people can relax, while strolling around and admiring nature.
The Fort Union Trading Post National Historic Site is located in Williston. In 1828, the fort was built by the American Fur Trading Company, bearing the Creek Revival architectural style. The site was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1966. Many tourists come here each year, as the site provides lots of information on the past of the community and on the development of this particular industry.
The Spring Lake Park offers people a chance to experience nature in the middle of the city. Many families from Williston and visiting ones gather here during the weekends and on warm weather holidays. Picnics and barbecues are one of the major elements of the time spent here, as well as playing a variety of sports and games. There are also more secluded and peaceful trails that can be taken by those looking to relax in privacy.
El Rancho is a hotel and restaurant in Williston. The atmosphere depicted from the name of the venue is respected in the design and the organization with a touch of sophistication. People coming here will find suitable accommodation for all budgets and tastes. The restaurant provide delicious meals for you to enjoy with your family. The coffee shop offers a great setting for some more relaxing moments.
Williston North Dakota is a town where residents support family values and boast about their low crime rate. Visitors can take in local culture, outdoor adventures and history. Here are five things you must do in Williston.
1. Get lost in history at Fort Buford: Famous for being the site that Sitting Bull finally surrendered, Fort Buford offers visitors a view of original buildings from the 19th Century fort as well as an interpretive center and gift store.
2. Explore prairie life at the Buffalo Hills Museum: A short twenty minute ride from downtown Williston, this museum harks back to the times of the pioneers and the Indians who ruled this area in the mid-19th Century. Buy an old time postcard in its gift shop.
3. Catch a walleye at Lake Sakakawea: There are numerous local lakes where outdoor sportsmen can catch â€œthe big oneâ€ in the pristine waters of these Midwestern lakes. Catch a lot of fish and have a fish fry.
4. Go camping at the Lewis and Clark State Park: This park and camping facility is a good spot for relaxing at the campground, hiking and bird watching. Take the family and spend the weekend at this rustic and historic park.
5. Win a fortune at the Four Bears Casino and Lodge: Located in nearby New Town, North Dakota, this casino and lodge is a great place to play your favorite games or stay for the weekend.