Labor Day Weekend Road Trip Ideas
The Labor Day long weekend is your chance to take a quick road trip and experience some of the classic cities and towns in the United States. Although summer is over, the weather is still perfect for exploring the outdoors. Here are some of the top road trips you can enjoy on this Labor Day.
1. A loop around Las Vegas
Forget about work for the weekend and escape to the bright lights of Las Vegas. Stay at one of the glamorous hotels on the Strip like Caesar's Palace or Planet Hollywood in the middle of all the action.
Whether you want to catch a show, tour some of the famous sights of the city or head on a road trip to Hoover Dam and the Valley of Fire, this is sure to be an unforgettable trip!
Where to Stop Along the Way
- The Las Vegas Strip: There are plenty of sights to see along the iconic Las Vegas Boulevard. See the dancing fountains of the Bellagio, or shop in the upmarket Forum Shops.
- Hoover Dam: Just outside Las Vegas, see the view from the top of the famous Hoover Dam. Undoubtedly you will recognize the dam from the large number of Hollywood films in which it has made an appearance.
- Valley of Fire: The drive to the Valley of Fire State Park is impressive in itself. Once at the park, you'll be able to see a truly unique geological landscape of red rocks and cliffs without battling the crowds.
2. The Florida Coast
Celebrate the end of summer in style on the beautiful coastline of the Sunshine State. Start your journey in the glitzy streets of Miami before heading north to the exciting adventure parks of Orlando.
Along the way you'll find a number of top beaches and unique towns. Surrounding Miami there are also a number of national parks including the expansive Everglades and the marine wonderland of Biscayne.
Where to Stop Along the Way
- Little Havana: Get a taste of the Caribbean in Miami. You'll be able to taste delicious Cuban cuisine or play a game of dominoes against the locals. See the center of Cuban culture in Florida.
- Everglades: Just outside of Miami, discover one of the largest wetlands in the United States. The Florida Everglades are home to unique wildlife like alligators, and some beautiful scenery.
- Universal Orlando: While there is no shortage of exciting sights to see in Orlando, you should definitely pay a visit to Universal Orlando. It's a day trip the whole family can enjoy!
3. A culinary adventure in Northern California
Start your long weekend road trip in San Francisco and head north to the famous Napa Valley. Sample some delicious foods and enjoy the stunning scenery of Northern California.
Make sure you take some time to explore the vastly different neighborhoods of San Francisco, and visit top sights like the Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz. It is also worth taking a stroll through the enormous Golden Gate Park.
- Fisherman's Wharf: It's one of the most famous areas in San Francisco, and is well-worth a visit. Visit the sea lions at Pier 39 or stop in for a meal at one of the local restaurants. The atmosphere at Fisherman's Wharf is always festive, and there is often live music. Make sure you also try some of the local chocolate at Ghirardelli.
- Napa: It's one of the world's most famous wine regions, and is just a short distance from San Francisco. Make sure you include it on your road trip itinerary. There are a number of great wineries you can visit in the area including O'Brien Estate Winery, Castello di Amorosa Winery and many more.