Fast and Easy Way to Compare,
Book and Save on Your Car Rentals.
  • Great Rates
  • Wide Selection of Cars
  • Trusted Since 2001
    Download the FREE VroomVroomVroom App App Store Google Store

    Driver's License Requirements for Renting a Car in the US

    License Requirements in the USA

    Customers who plan to rent a car in the United States will need to present a valid, unexpired government-issued driver's license for the entire rental period. We at VroomVroomVroom will tell you what you need to know about the different types of driver's license. Also, get information on how to find an International Driving Permit, if a restricted license is allowed and what other documents you may need if you plan to drive in the U.S.

    What types of driver's license do I need to rent a car?

    The status of your driver's license can fall into one of four types: valid, expired, suspended and revoked. Your license needs to be valid to be able to rent a car. If your license is not valid, it is either expired, suspended or revoked. Take note that Learner's Permits and photocopies of driver's licenses are not accepted.

    Learn more about the rental rules for each car rental supplier here.

    Can I rent a car with a restricted license?

    Renting a car with a restricted license will depend on the car rental company. You must understand that a restricted license is not permitted in all states in the U.S. You may need to coordinate directly and contact the supplier in advance to know if they will allow you to rent a car based on your situation.

    Read here to learn more about driving with a restricted license.

    Will I need an International Driving Permit in the US?

    Visitors to the United States who have  a license that is not printed fully in English will need to present an International Driving Permit (IDP). However, please note that the rules are different in each state. Those with driving licenses issued in Canada, the UK, Australia or New Zealand generally do not require an International Driving Permit to drive in the United States.

    Click here to know how you can get an IDP.


    Please note the important documents

    Customers are not allowed to rent a vehicle with only an International Driver's Permit. Learner's Permits and photocopies of driver's licenses are not accepted. A temporary driver's license may be refused if the renting location is unable to otherwise check the customer's identity or verify the authenticity of the temporary license. Additional government-issued identification may also be required.