Best Romantic Road Trips
Itching to go on a romantic weekend escape with your sweetie? VroomVroomVroom has compiled a list of the best getaways for couples in the United States. From the pristine beaches and lush forests in Maui to sunset celebration at Mallory Square Dock in Key West, these incredible destinations are perfect if you want to put a smile on your's partner face.
Key West, Florida
Situated on the southernmost end of the Florida Keys, this island has attracted millions of tourists over the years because of its beautiful beaches and laid-back atmosphere. Key West is perfect for those who are searching for a memorable seaside adventure. There are many romantic things that couples can do in this area – from watching the sunset at Mallory Square to sailing off the shores of the Florida Straits. You can also stroll through the beautiful gardens of the Key West Butterfly and Nature Conservatory or witness a wedding at The Ernest Hemingway Home & Museum.
- Enjoy breathtaking views of the ocean from the top of the Key West Lighthouse or witness a wedding at The Ernest Hemingway Home & Museum.
- Make sure to visit Fort Zachary State Park in the afternoon for a beach picnic that's picture-perfect. Sample some delicious treats from a local eatery and then walk along the beach together.
- As the sun starts to set, don't forget to join the Key West Sunset celebration in Mallory Square. You can watch street performers, enjoy a variety of treats and grab a drink to toast the romantic sunset with your partner.
Directions: You can pick up your car rental in Key West or if you are arriving from Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL), you can also rent a car at the airport. Driving time is about 3 hours and 30 minutes via US-1 S.
Maui, Hawaiian Islands
Maui is another popular paradise for couples. With its luxurious resorts, pristine beaches and lush forests, the island is the second largest in the archipelago after the Big Island. There are many amazing places to explore on Maui. These include a day trip to Hana and Lanai. Make sure to get a reliable car rental because you will have to pass by more than 59 historic bridges to reach the village!
- Couples (and even singles) can go on a sunrise trip to the summit of Mt. Haleakala, where the views are simply amazing.
- Journey to the "Pineapple Island" of Lanai. Snorkel at Hulopoe Beach, relax in the sun, or get a guided tour of Lanai city.
- Stay at Hyatt Regency Maui on Kaanapali Beachf for an evening filled with the exotic flavors of authentic Polynesian food and exciting storytelling, dance and culture.
Directions: You can rent a car in Kahului, which is a small city on the island of Maui and drive along State Highway 378 to reach the summit.
Napa Valley, California
If you are in search of great food and wine matched with an intimate setting, then the best place to visit is Napa Valley. The picturesque wine country in California is known for its world-class wineries and gourmet food. For a unique wine and dine experience, visit the Napa Valley Wine Train where you get to enjoy multiple course meals inside a luxurious rail-car. If that isn't enough to make you feel like you're in seventh heaven, then try the hot air balloon ride. Enjoy the stunning views of the county while taking a sip of your favorite wine or champagne.
- A visit to Domaine Chandon is a must-see for everyone who want to taste and learn more about wine.
- You may want to sign up for a private hot air balloon ride with Balloons Above The Valley to experience Napa Valley from a birds-eye view and to fully enjoy the beautiful rolling hills and lush vineyards.
- Of course, a visit to Napa Valley is not complete without a stop at what is arguably the most romantic restaurant in the area. The Bouchon offers traditional French cuisine cooked up by renowned chef Thomas Keller. Make sure to stop by the adjoining Bouchon Bakery for a scone or pastry if you are nearby in the morning./li>
Directions: If you are coming from San Francisco Airport, the fastest route to take is via I-80 E. Just head northwest on US-101 N and continue on I-80 E into Bay Bridge/Interstate 80 and continue onto Wooden Valley Rd. Then turn right onto CA-121 S and turn left onto CA-128 W. Driving time is about 2 hours and 4 minutes.
New York City, New York
Also known as the Big Apple, New York City is one of the world's most romantic places. No wonder many people can be seen wearing the logo shirt “I Love New York” — there are countless reasons why you would fall in love with this place. The city is known for its iconic landmarks, award-winning restaurants and vibrant nightlife. There are also many activities that are suited for couples, such as a romantic carriage ride through Central Park, a sunset cruise along Manhattan, and ice skating at the Rockefeller Center.
- Central Park may just be the most romantic place in New York City, so make sure to enjoy a picnic with your dear one. Other exciting activities you two can try include taking a carriage ride, visiting the Conservatory Garden, or taking a boat ride below the Bow Bridge.
- You can surprise your lovie with tickets to a Broadway show. Make sure to pick the popular ones, such as the Phantom of the Opera, West Side Story, or Les Miserables.
- Other fun activities you two can enjoy include ice skating at Rockefeller Center, wine tasting in the Hudson Valley, or catching a ferry to Staten Island to appreciate the spectacular views of the harbour.
- If you want to really impress your date on a special occasion, why not take a helicopter tour. Although this can be very pricey, you can't argue with that wonderful feeling of being on top of the world. Get a close-up view of the famous Statue of Liberty and other top attractions in the city.
Directions: You can pick up your car rental in New York and explore the city or if you are arriving from John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK), you can also rent a car at the airport and go on a 40-minute drive via Grand Central Pkwy and I-278 W.
Las Vegas, Nevada
This list won't be complete without Las Vegas, which is famous for its world-class casinos, hotel resorts, and clubs. This place is perfect for both couples and singles who are looking for the ultimate fun spot. You can experience the romantic ambiance coming from different parts of the world without leaving the Sin City – from the Venetian's gondola ride to The Bellagio's dancing fountains and Paris Las Vegas' Eiffel Tower. On Valentine's Day, hotels in Vegas offer packages that will definitely make your date want to marry you that instant! Don't worry if that happens because there are many wedding chapels located all over the city, or you may even end up getting hitched when you get back home from your quick Vegas holiday.
- Take a ride at sunset or at night to take in the amazing views of Las Vegas and the Strip from the top of the High Roller at the LINQ.
- Riding all the way up to the recreated Eiffel Tower at the Paris Hotel is one of the most romantic things to do in the city of Las Vegas. After enjoying the lovely sights, you and your sweetie can enjoy French food at their Eiffel Tower restaurant.
- If you thinking of a romantic moment (a proposal perhaps, you can go on a gondola ride around the Venetian Hotel and pay for a private ride.
- For some relaxation, don't forget to get your couples massage at the Aria spa, which is listed as one of the Best Vegas Spa Experiences by Travel and Leisure Magazine.
Directions: If you will be arriving via Las Vegas Airport (LAS), you can also rent a car from there and go on a 15-minute drive via McCarran Airport Connector and I-15 N to explore the city.
Dubbed as “The Valentine State”, Arizona has become one of the most visited destinations for couples. It earned that nickname because it was proclaimed the country's 48th state on February 14, 1912. Clarkdale is one of the best places for couples to visit together because this is where you will find the depot of the Verde Canyon Railroad and the railway museum. On Valentine's Day, you can join the Chocolate Lovers' Festival and indulge in scrumptious meals. You can even have fun with the chocolate fountain while enjoying the scenic canyon views.
- If you and your lovey-dovey enjoy drinking together, make sure to stop at Chateau Tumbleweed Winery & Tasting Room, which is situated between Sedona and Jerome on Highway 89A in Arizona.
- Looking for an adventure? Get your partner into kayaking and discover the natural scenery of Arizona with the Clarkdale Company.
- If you two want a more relaxed adventure, taking the the Verde Canyon Railroad Wilderness Route can be a charming experience. The four-hour rail trip will take you on a 20-mile journey through inspiring geology wrapped in railroad history.
- Listed as one of National Geographic's Best 22 Worldwide Locations, paying a visit to the Arizona Copper Art Museum is also highly-recommended.
Direcions: You can rent a car in Flagstaff and drive an approximately an hour to reach Clarkdale via I-17 S.