Best Road Trip Itineraries from New York
Listed as one of the greatest cities in the world, the exhilarating New York is a whirlwind of activity, and there's always something new to see and do here. But there are also plenty of sights and fun things to do within a couple of hours of the city to discover. If you are having a hard time planning a self-drive tour around New York and its surrounds, here are a few of VroomVroomVroom's best road trip itineraries from "The City That Never Sleeps".
Rent a car and explore the picturesque New Paltz situated between New York City and Albany. From lively music scene to fascinating boutiques, cafes and more, there's something for everyone to love in this charming town.
Travel Time: 1.5 hours
Directions: The journey to New Paltz will take you at least two hours via Palisades Interstate Pkwy N and I-87.
- Mohonk Preserve: Experience the natural beauty of the Shawangunk Mountains with more than 70 miles of carriage roads and trails ideal for hiking and even running.
- The Testimonial Gateway: Time to view the beautiful stone archway and tower that served as the formal entrance to Mohonk Mountain House from 1908 to 1935.
- Historic Huguenot Street: Cited as a National Historic Landmark District, the Historic Huguenot Street envelops 10 acres of beautifully preserved 17th century homes, buildings and artifacts.
The town of Kent can be found in Putnam County in New York. Home to a plenty of lakes including Kentwood Lake, Sagamore Lake, China Lake, Palmer Lake, White Pond and Lake Tibet, this lovely town is also home to a number of reservoirs that supply water to New York City.
Travel Time: 1hr 40mins
Directions: The drive from NYC to the village of Kent is nearly two hours via Sprain Brook Pkwy N and Taconic State Parkway N. To fully explore the area, we'd recommend you book a car rental.
- Kent Falls: Visitors typically flock to Kent Falls, the scenic 250-ft waterfall found in the state park in Kent.
- Seven Hearths Museum: For history lovers, the Seven Hearths Museum is a pre-Revolutionary War home that gives guests a peek into life during the colonial era.
- The Connecticut Antique Machinery Association: If you enjoy exhibition of antique equipment from agricultural and industrial past, this 8-acre museum is for you.
Situated along the west border of Columbia County in New York, the city of Hudson is known for its farm-to-table food scene as well as its antiques.
Travel Time: 2hrs 30mins
Directions: The journey will take you at least 130 miles from New York. Head southeast on Steve Flanders Square toward Centre St. and take the Taconic State Parkway N.
- Bar-slash-bookstore Spotty Dogmerges two of the world's most perfect things, and Hole bassist Melissa auf der Maur has converted a former cathedral, Basilica Hudson, into a concert venue and event space.
Another popular road trip route is the Long Island. This great stretch of history and culture, sand and surf, as well as culinary excellence and local farm stands is deemed as the playground in NY. Those who look for exceptional experiences will surely find it here.
Travel Time: 1hr 10mins
Directions: To reach Long Island, head to Northern State Pkwy and I-495 E for an hour.
- Old Westbury Gardens: Built in 1906, this beautiful Charles II-style mansion is open to visitors and also available for school visits, as well as any other types of events.
- The Vanderbilt Museum: Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this museum includes the Vanderbilt Mansion with all its furnishings and art. It also features an extensive collection of swords, ship models, and various objects from Africa, Asia, and Europe.
- Planting Fields Arboretum State Historic Park: Open to the public, the park has 67-room Tudor revival residence Coe Hall as well as gardens, extensive plant collections, and a herbarium with more than 10,000 pressed specimens.
Also known as the Queen of American Lakes, the stunning Lake George which is located on the rail line halfway between New York City and Montreal remains to be a favorite tourist destination.
Travel Time: 3hrs 40mins
Directions: To reach Lake George, take the I-87 N from New York. I-80 W and I-81 N.
- Whether you choose the famous Six Flags theme park, Water Safari or one of the many other attractions in Lake George, indulge yourself in the thrill of a good ride.
- From museums to historic forts, free concerts and fireworks, theatre and butterfly farms, there are plenty of ways to broaden your mind and renew the spirit in Lake George.
- Explore further: That's not all! You are 30 minutes from Saratoga Springs, 15 minutes from Bolton Landing and 30 minutes from Washington County's famous farms.
If you are a culture love and enjoy historic mansions, stunning beaches as well as some of the best seafood, Newport is definitely worthy of a road trip.
Travel Time: 3hrs 30mins
Directions: To reach New Port, you either can take the I-87 N and I-90 W or via Taconic State Parkway N and I-90 W.
- Plenty of mansions: The famous Breakers, Rosecliff and Marble House are worth a looking.
- Lots of accommodation: You may opt to stay at the Castle Hill Inn) or to the quirky and modern Gilded.