Dollar Terms & Conditions
The below T&Cs (including prices and taxes) are provided by Dollar and may change without notice to VroomVroomVroom.com.
This quote includes:
- Stamp duty,
- Signified miles amount (generally unlimited, see below for extra mileage charge)
- Vehicle Registration,
- One way fees if applicable,
- Airport taxes and surcharges if applicable,
- All vehicle fees related to the booking, eg. Vehicle drop fees, all recovery fees, premium location fees, corporate location fees wherever applicable.
This quote will not include
- Insurance (See next paragraph*)
- Child Seats or booster seats (can be purchased after confirmation is around $12.00 per seat, per day and may be subject to local tax and surcharges).
- Extra mile travel (if your rental is limited, the limit can not be extended)
- The age surcharge, if between the ages of 21 and 25 ( around $25 per day and may be subject to local tax and surcharges)
- Any extras signed up for upon arrival, eg. Excess reductions.
- Additional driver fee. Fee varies at each depot (except in CA where additional drivers are included).
- All extras and additional services will attract additional local percentage taxes and surcharges. Prices below are exclusive of these as they vary state to state.
* Important information about car rental insurance
For US citizens
Some US credit cards and personal car insurance policies do provide car rental insurance so please check with your credit card provider and personal auto insurance policy for details.
Visiting the US from another country
It is illegal to drive in the US without car insurance. Your travel insurance probably only covers the excess so check the fine print in your travel insurance policy.
For more information please see our U.S. car rental insurance guide.
See below for more Dollar Terms and Conditions
OR see Dollar for further details
All extras and additional services will attract additional local percentage taxes and surcharges. Prices below are exclusive of these as they vary state to state.
GENERAL RENTAL REQUIREMENTSThese are the General Rental Requirements of Dollar Car Rental. The Rental Company Operating the Dollar Car Rental Location ("Dollar") May have other requirements. The requirements of the Rental Location will control check the "Local" Terms & Conditions posted on the web page of the Renting Locations for more information about their Terms and Conditions. For Rentals outside of the United States and Cananda, please refer to the Local Terms and Conditins where you intend to rent the vehicle.
Renter QualificationsA valid driver's license in the customer's own name must be presented at the time of pick up. Minimum age is 21 on all vehicles. Renters under 25 may be subject to an additional fee.
United States Citizens and U.S. Military Personnel: A renter or any additional authorized driver who is a citizen of the United States, must present at the time of rental:
- (1) a driver's license issued by any state, territory or possession of the United States, and valid for the entire rental period
- (2) a temporary driver's license, valid for the entire rental period
- (3) a traffic citation issued as a temporary license, valid for the entire rental period (the court date being the expiration date) and a second form of identification with signature (excluding the credit card used for rental),
- (4) a valid U.S. military identification card plus an expired driver's license for active duty U.S. military personnel in those states where active duty U.S. military can drive on an expired driver's license.
- (5) A valid driver's license issued by a province or territory of Canada
- (6) A foreign driver's license* issued by the country of residence of the renter and additional drivers. If the driver's license in not in English, the renter and drivers will be required to present both the foreign issued driver's license and a current International Driver's Permit; or, if from Japan, a Japanese Translation Service. An IDP does not give a person the right to drive, but provides a certified translation of the valid foreign driver's license. An IDP can be obtained in the driver's country of residence only with a valid driver's license. An IDP (or certified translation) without the foreign issued driver's license is not acceptable.
*If the foreign issued driver's license is from a country where driver's licenses are issued, the renter and any additional drivers will also be required to show their passport, visa or other current U.S. issued documentation at the beginning of the rental authorizing the renter or driver to be present in the USA at the time of rental.
If you are 25+ then there is no additional charge. If you are between the ages of 21-24 then there is an additional charge of around $25.00-$35.00 depending on the location.
The vehicle may be driven only by an authorized driver. An authorized driver is the renter and any additional person who appears at the time of rental, and signs the rental agreement. All authorized drivers must satisfy our age requirements, have a valid driver's license, a major credit card in their own name, and fulfill our other qualifications, which vary by location. Employers and co-employees of renters renting on corporate rate plans, if properly licensed and meet our age requirements, are authorized to drive the vehicle while acting within the scope of their employment duties. See our credit requirements below. The authorized driver and any additional authorized drivers may be subject to a driver record check (see below). No other persons are authorized to drive the vehicle.All additional authorized drivers are required to qualify to drive the vehicle. To qualify, DOLLAR requires all additional drivers, including spouses, to satisfy our minimum age requirements, have a valid drivers license, and pay an additional driver fee. However, the following additional drivers do not need to pay an additional driver fee as long as they meet our minimum age requirements and have a valid drivers license:
- (1) government renters on official orders,
- (2) corporate account customers on corporate rate plans, and
- (3) drivers/companions of physically impaired customers.
The additional driver may also be subject to a driver record check and an underage driver's fee. (See below). Because the requirements vary by location, please refer to the location's own Terms and Conditions for specific information on additional driver fees at the location where you intend to rent.
If you are to add an additional driver of 25+ than there will be a charge of $9.00-12.00 per day.
An authorized driver 21 to 24 years of age may be charged an Underage Driver Fee because of such driver's age and in addition to the additional driver fee, if applicable. Because the requirements vary by DOLLAR location, please refer to the location's Terms & Conditions for specific information on additional authorized or underage drivers at the renting location.
Underage Driver's Fee varies by location, it is typically around $25.00 - $35.00 plus local tax and surcharges.
Payment Policy - Credit Cards
To qualify to rent the DOLLAR vehicle, the renter must present at the time of rental a major credit card or debit card (See Debit Card Usage below) in the renters own name with available credit. At the time of rental, an authorization hold will be secured on the credit/debit card provided, to cover the estimated rental charges and any additional charges that may be incurred.
These funds will not be available for your use. Because the requirements vary by location, please refer to the Local Policies for specific information on credit qualifications and requirements where you intend to rent a DOLLAR vehicle.
Payment Policy - Debit Cards
· At Airport Locations debit cards will be accepted to qualify for rental when the customer provides proof of return airline flight to coincide with the rental and two (2) valid forms of identification.
· At Off Airport Locations debit cards will be accepted to qualify for rental when the customer has made a reservation made at least one (1) day in advance of the rental pick up date, they are at least 25 years old, and present two (2) valid forms of identification.
· There are exceptions to the general policy:
· Debit cards are not accepted to qualify for the rental for Dream Cars and Shelby GT-H Mustang
· Debit cards are not accepted at time of rental in following cities and surrounding areas, New York Metropolitan (NY, NJ, CT), Hartford, CT, Philadelphia, PA, Boston, MA, Manchester, NH and Detroit, MI.
· Debit cards may continue to be used to pay for rental charges at time of return
"Key Ring" Credit Cards: DOLLAR does not accept the small credit cards issued by credit card companies that fit on a key ring. In the event that a customer presents the key ring credit card at the time of rental, the rental location may ask you to present the standard size credit card or another form of payment.
At most locations, driving is restricted to the continental United States and Canada. A Canadian resident is prohibited from driving a U.S. owned vehicle into Canada. At most locations, driving is restricted to the continental United States and Canada. A Canadian resident is prohibited from driving a U.S. owned vehicle into Canada. Please refer to the Local Policies for specific information regarding geographic limitations at the location where you intend to rent a DOLLAR vehicle.
RENTALS 30 DAYS OR LONGER
For rentals 30 days or longer, the customer must return the vehicle for maintenance or to renew the contract every 30 days to the location.
Dollar Coverage OptionsAdditional cover is accepted on pickup or can be added via their modify link: click here
For details of their available: click here
Baby, Child and Booster Seats
These can be requested by emailing email@example.com or easier still - reply to your confirmation email. Please advise the age of your baby or child. Currently costs are around $12.00 per day plus local tax and surcharges.
These can be requested by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or easier still - reply to your confirmation email. Currently costs are around $13.99 per day plus local tax and surcharges.
Insurance Coverage by Dollar
Please note: These are offered by the supplier direct - at the car rental pickup or by contacting:
Dollar Reservation: 1-800-800-4000(available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week)
1. Loss Damage Waiver ("LDW"): If the renter purchases one of the optional LDW plans, DOLLAR will agree to waive the renters responsibility for loss or damage to the vehicle in full or in part (depending on the LDW plan accepted). LDW is not insurance or an insurance product.
LDW does not apply if: (1) the renter uses the vehicle in violation of the rental agreement; (2) the renter fails to remove the keys, or close and lock all windows, doors and trunk, and the vehicle is stolen or vandalized; (3) the renter fails to notify us and the police immediately after the loss; and (4) the renter fails to pay the charges under the rental agreement; or (5) other exceptions as allowed by the applicable state or provincial law.
Before deciding whether to purchase LDW, the renter may wish to determine whether their own automobile insurance or credit card agreement provides coverage for rental vehicle damage or loss and determine the amount of the deductible under their own insurance coverage. The purchase of LDW is not mandatory. LDW is not insurance.
2. Personal Protection Plan ("PPP"): PPP includes Personal Accident Insurance ("PAI") and Personal Effects Insurance (PEI) and where offered must be purchased together. PPP is not offered in Canada.
a. PAI: provides benefits to the renter and the renters passengers for accidental medical expenses, ambulance expenses and accidental death benefits during the rental. If this optional coverage is purchased by a renter, the renter is covered twenty-four hours a day for all accidents, whether the renter is actually in the rental vehicle or not at the time of the accident. Passengers in a DOLLAR vehicle are only covered for accidents occurring while the passengers occupy the DOLLAR vehicle.
b. PEI:insures the personal effects of the renter and any member of the renter's immediate family traveling with the renter. A member of a renter's immediate family must permanently reside in the renter's household. If this optional coverage is purchased by the renter, PEI covers only personal effects with which the renter or immediate family member are traveling. PEI pays covered claims even if the renter's homeowner's policy provides coverage.
3. Supplemental Liability Insurance ("SLI"): Where available, and for an additional daily charge, a renter may purchase SLI at the time of rental. If accepted, SLI provides the renter or any additional authorized drivers listed in the rental agreement, with automobile liability coverage against third party claims (excluding claims by the renters and any additional authorized drivers family members related by blood, marriage or adoption and any other person residing with the renter or additional driver) for bodily injury, including death, and property damage resulting from an automobile accident in the DOLLAR vehicle, during the rental period, in excess of the coverage provided under the rental agreement up to a maximum protection of $1,000,000 combined single limit (CSL) per occurrence. The availability, cost and coverage can vary from location to location depending on the program details. Check with the rental location for details of their program. SLI does not provide coverage for uninsured and underinsured motorist protection except in New York. SLI does not apply in Mexico. SLI is not offered in Canada.