The below T&Cs (including prices and taxes) are provided by Dollar and may change without notice to VroomVroomVroom.com.
For US citizens
Some US credit cards and personal car insurance policies do provide car rental insurance so please check with your credit card provider and personal auto insurance policy for details.
Visiting the US from another country
It is illegal to drive in the US without car insurance. Your travel insurance probably only covers the excess so check the fine print in your travel insurance policy.
For more information please see our U.S. car rental insurance guide.
All extras and additional services will attract additional local percentage taxes and surcharges. Prices below are exclusive of these as they vary state to state.
United States Citizens and U.S. Military Personnel: A renter or any additional authorized driver who is a citizen of the United States, must present at the time of rental:
*If the foreign issued driver's license is from a country where driver's licenses are issued, the renter and any additional drivers will also be required to show their passport, visa or other current U.S. issued documentation at the beginning of the rental authorizing the renter or driver to be present in the USA at the time of rental.
If you are 25 then there is no additional charge. If you're age is 20 to 24 then there is an additional charge of around $25.00-$35.00 depending on the location. The minimum age to rent a car in Michigan and New York is 18 and is subject to daily surcharge.
The vehicle may be driven only by an authorized driver. An authorized driver is the renter and any additional person who appears at the time of rental, and signs the rental agreement. All authorized drivers must satisfy our age requirements, have a valid driver's license, a major credit card in their own name, and fulfill our other qualifications, which vary by location. Employers and co-employees of renters renting on corporate rate plans, if properly licensed and meet our age requirements, are authorized to drive the vehicle while acting within the scope of their employment duties. See our credit requirements below. The authorized driver and any additional authorized drivers may be subject to a driver record check (see below). No other persons are authorized to drive the vehicle.All additional authorized drivers are required to qualify to drive the vehicle. To qualify, DOLLAR requires all additional drivers, including spouses, to satisfy our minimum age requirements, have a valid drivers license, and pay an additional driver fee. However, the following additional drivers do not need to pay an additional driver fee as long as they meet our minimum age requirements and have a valid drivers license:
The additional driver may also be subject to a driver record check and an underage driver's fee. (See below). Because the requirements vary by location, please refer to the location's own Terms and Conditions for specific information on additional driver fees at the location where you intend to rent.
If you are to add an additional driver of 25 than there will be a charge of $9.00-12.00 per day.
An authorized driver 20 to 24 years of age may be charged an Underage Driver Fee because of such driver's age and in addition to the additional driver fee, if applicable. Because the requirements vary by DOLLAR location, please refer to the location's Terms & Conditions for specific information on additional authorized or underage drivers at the renting location.
Underage Driver's Fee varies by location, it is typically around $25.00 - $35.00 plus local tax and surcharges.
To qualify to rent the DOLLAR vehicle, the renter must present at the time of rental a major credit card or debit card (See Debit Card Usage below) in the renters own name with available credit. At the time of rental, an authorization hold will be secured on the credit/debit card provided, to cover the estimated rental charges and any additional charges that may be incurred.
These funds will not be available for your use. Because the requirements vary by location, please refer to the Local Policies for specific information on credit qualifications and requirements where you intend to rent a DOLLAR vehicle.
• No credit checks.
• Travel plan requirements:
1. Travel plan requirements removed when booking 24 hours in advance (except for Luxury, Premium and Convertible car classes).
2. If a customer books within 24 hours or is renting a Luxury/Premium/Convertible: customer must present driver's license, one (1) additional form of ID and proof of travel plans (e.g., airline/cruise/train tickets).
• No age restrictions — Young Renters (ages 20-24) can now use debit cards.
• Incidental hold reduced to $200 (aligned to Hertz).
• At Airport locations: Renters 20 – 24 can rent using a debit card, with proof of a return airline flight booked 24 hours in advance, provide proof of travel plans to coincide with the rental and present two (2) valid forms of identification. To qualify to rent, the renter must produce the same debit card that was used for payment of the reservation and a valid driver’s license in the renter’s name and MUST match the name on the reservation.
1. Our new debit card policy will be valid at all corporate locations. Dollar and Thrifty's franchise locations are not obligated to observe the policy at this time.
Please note these three important conditions for our debit card policy:
• Only non-prepaid debit cards backed by Visa, Mastercard or Discover will be accepted
• Our new debit card policy will be valid at all corporate locations. However, Dollar's franchise locations are not obligated to observe the policy at this time
• Additional requirements will be needed for our most expensive vehicles like premium, luxury, and convertible car classes
Cross Border Information
This depends on the location and depot you will be collecting your rental. You may find this information in the Dollar TNC link on the Book Page when placing a booking.
RENTALS 30 DAYS OR LONGER
For rentals 30 days or longer, the customer must return the vehicle for maintenance or to renew the contract every 30 days to the location.
For details of their available: click here
These can be requested by emailing email@example.com or easier still - reply to your confirmation email. Please advise the age of your baby or child. Currently, costs are around $12.00 per day plus local tax and surcharges.
These can be requested by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or easier still - reply to your confirmation email. Currently, costs are around $13.99 per day plus local tax and surcharges.
No drop charge for one-way rentals at corporate locations for the following scenarios:
Inquiry should be made with respect to any other one-way rentals and applicable supplemental charges.
DROP CHARGES – SUBJECT TO CHANGE :
|0 to 250 Miles||$50.00|
|251 to 500 Miles||$150.00|
|501 to 1000 Miles||$250.00|
|Over 1000 Miles||$500.00|
US To Canada:* Car Classes B, C, D, F, may intercity from the following US to Canada airport and downtown locations at the drop charges (US$) listed below:
|New York (EWR, LGA, JFK)+||350||350||N/A||N/A|
Please note: These are offered by the supplier direct - at the car rental pickup or by contacting:
Dollar Reservation: 1-800-800-4000(available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week)
1. Loss Damage Waiver ("LDW"): If the renter purchases one of the optional LDW plans, DOLLAR will agree to waive the renters responsibility for loss or damage to the vehicle in full or in part (depending on the LDW plan accepted). LDW is not insurance or an insurance product.
LDW does not apply if: (1) the renter uses the vehicle in violation of the rental agreement; (2) the renter fails to remove the keys, or close and lock all windows, doors and trunk, and the vehicle is stolen or vandalized; (3) the renter fails to notify us and the police immediately after the loss; and (4) the renter fails to pay the charges under the rental agreement; or (5) other exceptions as allowed by the applicable state or provincial law.
Before deciding whether to purchase LDW, the renter may wish to determine whether their own automobile insurance or credit card agreement provides coverage for rental vehicle damage or loss and determine the amount of the deductible under their own insurance coverage. The purchase of LDW is not mandatory. LDW is not insurance.
2. Personal Protection Plan ("PPP"): PPP includes Personal Accident Insurance ("PAI") and Personal Effects Insurance (PEI) and where offered must be purchased together. PPP is not offered in Canada.
a. PAI: provides benefits to the renter and the renters passengers for accidental medical expenses, ambulance expenses and accidental death benefits during the rental. If this optional coverage is purchased by a renter, the renter is covered twenty-four hours a day for all accidents, whether the renter is actually in the rental vehicle or not at the time of the accident. Passengers in a DOLLAR vehicle are only covered for accidents occurring while the passengers occupy the DOLLAR vehicle.
b. PEI:insures the personal effects of the renter and any member of the renter's immediate family traveling with the renter. A member of a renter's immediate family must permanently reside in the renter's household. If this optional coverage is purchased by the renter, PEI covers only personal effects with which the renter or immediate family member are traveling. PEI pays covered claims even if the renter's homeowner's policy provides coverage.
3. Supplemental Liability Insurance ("SLI"): Where available, and for an additional daily charge, a renter may purchase SLI at the time of rental. If accepted, SLI provides the renter or any additional authorized drivers listed in the rental agreement, with automobile liability coverage against third party claims (excluding claims by the renters and any additional authorized drivers family members related by blood, marriage or adoption and any other person residing with the renter or additional driver) for bodily injury, including death, and property damage resulting from an automobile accident in the DOLLAR vehicle, during the rental period, in excess of the coverage provided under the rental agreement up to a maximum protection of $1,000,000 combined single limit (CSL) per occurrence. The availability, cost and coverage can vary from location to location depending on the program details. Check with the rental location for details of their program. SLI does not provide coverage for uninsured and underinsured motorist protection except in New York. SLI does not apply in Mexico. SLI is not offered in Canada.
• Added at the time of collection at a charge of $13.50 USD for all States except NY which is $3.00 USD and Nevada $12.22 USD, these charges are per day per driver plus taxes and fees.
• No charge for Additional Authorized Operator for rentals originating in California.
• Additional Authorized Operators are added to the Rental Record locally and must be present with a valid driver's license
• A maximum of four additional drivers can be added.
• In most cases, vehicles may be driven across the Canadian border.
• It is recommended to have PERS cover when using vehicle in cross border rentals for the US and Canada.
• Please reference the Dollar & Thrifty Inbound USA Tour Program's Drop and Intercity Policy Chart for specific intercity fees and restrictions for rentals into Canada.
• Vehicles may be driven into Mexico with prior authorization and from any locations in California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas. An additional Mexican insurance must be purchased locally to do so. The cost of Mexican insurance is between $38.00 - $48.00 USD per calendar day plus taxes and fees, which will assist with breakdown issues. PERS is not available in Mexico.
• Due to Mexican Law, Mexican citizens are not permitted to drive U.S. owned vehicles in Mexico. Any attempts to do so will result in fines and penalties.
• When a debit card is presented as a form of payment, at the start of the rental, two (2) forms of identification must be presented:
o A valid Foreign Country issued Driver's License and a Government issued ID, in the same name as
the driver's license and credit card, such as a Passport.
• Debit cards may be used at time of return to pay for the rental charges.
• We accept most debit cards issued under MasterCard, VISA, or Discover logo at time of rent (with proper authorization).
• Debit cards can be used by an Additional Authorized Operator (AAO) for qualification purposes.
• Debit Cards are accepted at many locations to qualify the rentals when other requirements are met:
o At Airport locations: renter is required to provide proof of a return airline flight to coincide with
the rental and present two (2) valid forms of identification.
o At Off-Airport locations, the renter must be at least 25 years old, present two (2) valid forms of identification and one of the following: Proof of return travel ticket to coincide with rental (airline or cruise)
• Debit cards are not accepted at the outset of a rental to qualify for rental in Off-Airport locations in: New York Metropolitan Tri-State Area (NY, NJ, CT), areas of Hartford, CT and areas of Philadelphia, PA, and areas of Boston, MA, areas of Manchester, NH, areas of Detroit, MI, and areas of Baltimore, MD.
• Debit cards are not accepted to qualify at time of rental for Dream Cars and Hertz Shelby GT-H.
• Dollar & Thrifty provides a variety of special services to make the rental process easier for physically challenged customers. At all corporate locations, you can reserve a car equipped with hand controls. There is no additional charge.
• Hand Controls:
o Hand controls are devices, which attach to the gas and brake pedals of the vehicle, enabling a
physically challenged person to drive the vehicle without using their legs.
o Hand Controls must be requested at the time of booking, so that the mechanics at the location can fit the Hand Controls to the vehicle for the customer, as it can take up to an hour to fit these controls onto a vehicle.
• Steering Balls / Spinner Knobs:
o Steering Balls / Spinner Knob attaches to the steering wheel at specific clock position requested by
client (sent at time of reservation)
o The majority of vehicles can be adapted with Steering Balls/Spinner Knobs and these are provided
free of charge.
o Must be requested at the time of booking to include the clock position for the device, so that the
mechanics at the location can fit in the correct position for the customer.
• Disabled Driving Permits:
o Customers cannot use another country's Disabled Parking Permit in the USA. Only USA Disabled
Parking permits are permitted.
o Upon arrival customers should contact the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) to request a USA Disabled Parking Permit. They will be advised as to the location of the nearest DMV office and they will be required to visit this office in person to apply for a Disabled Parking Permit.
o The cost of this is approx. $15.00 USD for 90 days, plus local taxes and fees
o They need to bring proof of ID plus their country of origin disabled parking permit.
• All Renters must present a valid issued driver's license.
• Drivers must be at least 20 years of age in all states except for New York and Michigan, where the minimum rental age is 18.
• Rates are not valid for U.S. or Canadian citizens or holders of a U.S or Canadian driver's license.
• Renters, including additional drivers, must present a valid driver's license, a return airline ticket and voucher. We do not accept a copy of license (must be original).
• If the driving license is not in English, then an International Driving Permit is strongly recommended. This is required for translation purposes to confirm the validity of the driver's license for the safety of our renters and for Dollar & Thrifty.
• A current valid driver's license must always be presented at the rental counter.
• Change of Driver locally - should for any reason renter need to change the driver name at the counter, for reasons such as forgotten license or credit card, they must both be present and the new renter must meet license requirements.
• A valid driver's license is one that has not expired and shows no restrictions that would prevent the renter from legally driving a Dollar or Thrifty vehicle.
• In most cases, vehicles can be driven in any state in the continental United States.
• Vehicles are permitted to be transported on ferries. However, if the destination of the ferry is to a site with gravel or unpaved roads, use of car is not permitted.
• Vehicles may not be driven on poorly maintained or unpaved roads.
• Late return or 'rental deviation' fee is incurred if a customer returns the vehicle before or after the scheduled drop-off time.
• The customer will be charged the local daily rate, plus a $16.00 USD daily fee (5 day maximum) if they are more than 12 hours late to return the vehicle.
• If customers are expecting a late return during their rental period they are encouraged to contact the number provided on their Rental Agreement if they have a change in their return date. A Return Change Fee of $10.00 USD will be applied.
• The agents will be able to adjust the Rental Agreement and inform the client of any rate changes and applicable fees, which will be at the local daily rate.
• Early return – there is no refund for unused days.
• Basic Emergency Roadside Service for Dollar & Thrifty is included with every rental. This covers mechanical defects or breakdowns that can occur, when they occur within the approved driving area at no additional charge.
• You must make a new reservation for the extension rental period. Customer will need to return to location to renew contract.
• Client may purchase a tank of fuel at the time of rental at a local competitive price, which eliminates the need for client to refill before returning.
• For packages with Fuel included renters should return vehicle empty. There is no credit for unused fuel.
• Vehicles are provided with a full tank of fuel, there is no refund for unused fuel. If client has not accepted the FPO they can return the vehicle with a full tank and must show a gas receipt within 10 miles of the return location.
• For rentals in Hawaii: 1) if FPO is purchased at time of rent, and the vehicle is returned with a full tank, the customer will receive credit for the amount previously charged for the FPO; or 2) regardless of whether FPO was purchased, if the vehicle is returned with more fuel in it than when it was rented, the renter will receive credit for the additional gallons/liters.
• If you choose to skip the pump we'll refuel for you. A charge will be made at market price of fuel used plus a flat $5.00 USD service fee plus taxes and fees. To use this option just return with less fuel than when you started.
• Packages including the Fuel are a minimum 4-day rental only and is not available in ALL Manhattan locations.
• A rental day consists of 24 consecutive hours, each day starting at the time of the rental. Extra charges will apply when the rental exceeds a 24-hour period by 29 minutes. The customer will be charged at local rates for the extra time.
• Tour Operators will be charged for the number of days booked, irrespective of the number of days the customer actually rents. If the client returns the car early, the Tour Operator will still be charged at the number of days reserved. Exceptions, such as medical emergencies, death in family, etc., will be handled subsequently by Customer Relations.
• Rental periods cannot exceed 62 days. If a rental is in excess of 62 days, additional reservations are necessary to accommodate the total number of days. The number of days reserved for each reservation may be split up as necessary, as long as no one reservation exceeds 62 days. The rental agreement must be renewed at a participating location and therefore client must return to location to do so. For example, a 70-day rental may be booked on a reservation of 62 days and one of 8 days or may be booked on a reservation of 40 days and 30 days. Additional reservations/voucher are required for each rental period, which must be presented at the counter for renewal of the rental record prior to the 63rd day (or whatever day rental has been split to). If the vehicle is returned to a location other than the original renting location, drop off charges may apply.
• Top Dollar & Thrifty rental airport locations will offer NeverLost® Navigator . All other Dollar & Thrifty airport locations, and the majority of off-airport locations will offer NeverLost® Magellan.
o Please reference the NeverLost Navigator Dollar & Thrifty locations lists (see Appendix). Location list is subject to change.
• All Dollar & Thrifty locations will rent either NeverLost® Magellan or NeverLost® Navigator , not both devices. Customers will not be able to upgrade from NeverLost® Magellan to NeverLost® Navigator , because both products are not available for rent at the same location.
• Missing accessories or broken, lost or stolen units will be the responsibility of the renter and will be charged at the current replacement rates.
• Customers may also purchase GPS inclusive rates.
• NeverLost® Navigator :
o Retails for a fee of $16.99 USD per day with a 14-day maximum per month.
o Customers can buy 60 phone credits on the device for $8.95 USD per day.
o Customers can buy the unlimited data that can serve as a hotspot for up to 2 devices for $5.95 USD per day.
o Customers will pay our 3rd party vendor directly.
• NeverLost® Magellan:
o Retail for a fee of $13.99 USD per day with a 14-day maximum per month.
• TravelTab Adventurer:
o Retail for a fee of $21.99 USD per day with no maximum days. TravelTab Adventurer will only be at locations with Neverlost Navigator .
o Adventurer will only be at locations with Neverlost Navigator .
o Customers will get 60 phone credits per day (30 international minutes or 60 domestic minutes); plus unlimited data that can serve as a hotspot for up to 5 devices.
• The daily charge is $13.99 USD per day, maximum of $98.00 USD per rental plus taxes and fees.
• Infant seats – Cosco Light & Comfy (Model #IC206CHZ) - Rear facing: Birth and Infants 5 – 22 pounds (2.3 – 10 kg) and 19 – 29 inches (48 – 74 cm) in height.
• Toddler seats – Cosco Next (Model #CC123FSM) – Rear facing: 5 – 35 pounds (2.3 – 16 kg), height: 19 – 36 inches (48 – 91 cm). Forward facing: 22 – 40 pounds (10 – 18.2 kg), height: 34 – 43 inches (86 – 109 cm). Note: The Cosco Next rear facing may be provided as Birth and Infant seat)
• Booster seats – Cosco Pronto (Model #22-491FSM) – Forward facing: for children 40 – 100 pounds (18.2 – 45.5 kg) and 34 – 57 inches (86 – 145 cm) in height.
• Dollar and Thrifty (all brands) require customers to install the child seats themselves.
• In all North America markets, the ISOFIX system is known as LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children). LATCH has been required in all passenger vehicles since 2002 and Dollar and Thrifty (all brands) approved child seats are LATCH equipped.
• Customers are also permitted to use their own car seats.
• Unlimited mileage applies to all vehicle rentals.
• Non-U.S and Canadian residents must present a valid credit card in the name of the renter, which is the preferred method for deposit.
• The credit card incidental amount will be as follows:
o Customers paying with VISA at ALL locations will have total of incidentals (Fuel, One way fee, child seats) plus 15% of this total added as an incidental amount
o Customers renting in Florida will have a minimum of $250.00 USD or 15% of the estimated charges (whichever is greater) credit authorized on their card (excludes VISA, as above).
o Customers renting in Hawaii will NOT have a credit card incidental amount. This excludes rentals paying with a VISA credit card.
o Customer renting in all other states will have a minimum of $350.00 USD or 15% of the estimated charges (whichever is greater) credit authorized on their card. Excludes rentals paying with a VISA credit card.
• At time of rental, an authorization hold will be secured on the credit/debit card provided, as detailed above. These funds will not be available for your use.
• All rentals are subject to meeting license requirements.
• Cash deposits are no longer accepted at many locations.
• Optional Items such as - child seats, satellite navigation, additional drivers, one-way drop-off charges are payable upon arrival and are subject to local taxes and fees (see further sections for applicable charges).
• Dollar & Thrifty offers the PlatePass electronic toll payment system, which is operated by PlatePass LLC, a division of American Traffic Solutions, to provide customers the convenience of utilizing electronic toll lanes without incurring any toll road fines or penalties.
• Customers can opt into the PlatePass service in 3 ways:
o At the commencement of the rental
o At return
o By opening the transponder shield box (E-Z Pass transponder region only)
• To utilize PlatePass on these toll roads, customers are required to purchase the PlatePass product for the entire duration of the rental. The daily charge ranges from $8.99 - $21.49 USD per day with some weekly rates available in certain markets.
|Tolling System||Applicable States|
|E-Z Pass||Transponder||DE, MA, ME, MD, NC, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, VA, WV|
|(*) CT, MI, RI, VT|
|I-Pass / iZoom||Transponder||IL, IN|
|EZ Tag / Toll Tag / Tx Tag||Video||TX|
|Sun Pass / E-Pass / Leeway / Peach Pass||Video||FL, GA|
|FASTRAK||Video||N. California Bay Area|
|Good to Go!||Video||Seattle 520 Bridge and Tacoma Narrows Bridge |
(both in WA state)
|(*)||E-Z Pass transponders are not installed in vehicles in |
these states, but existing transponders must NOT be
removed as the vehicles may migrate back to surrounding
• Customers who decline PlatePass but still use cashless toll roads, will be charged: (a) all tolls incurred; (b) a $15.00 USD administrative fee for each toll incurred (subject to a $90.00 USD cap for such toll-related administrative fees for the rental period); and (c) all other applicable toll charges or fees.
• Available at Miami, Fort Lauderdale and Port Canaveral - to be requested at time of reservation
• Miami Port – MIAP01 (Port of Miami cruise ships only):
o Dollar have a shuttle service.
o Vehicles must be returned to the Airport. They must NOT be returned to the Port of Miami.
o Customer must walk to the designated pick up area and look for the Dollar pick up vehicle/shuttle.
o Shuttle frequency is 30-45 minutes
o Distance to location/vehicle – 8 miles
o Clients are transferred to Miami International Airport, 3900 NW 25th St. Suite 405, Miami, FL, 33142. Tel: 305 894 5020
o Hours, Mon – Sun 07:00 – 15:00
• Fort Lauderdale Port – FLLC19:
o Dollar Shuttle service
o Customer will be shuttled to and from the FLLC19 location to the Port Everglades, Fort Lauderdale
o Shuttle service runs when cruise ships dock
o Clients are transferred to the Fort Lauderdale office, 2400 Miami Road, Fort Lauderdale, FL, 33316. Tel: 954 463 8060
o Hours, Mon – Sun 07:00 – 18:00
• Port Canaveral (Melbourne) - MLBC01 (Florida):
o Dollar & Thrifty operate dual branded courtesy bus/shuttle service to cruise port
o Customer must call – 321 799 2945 for collection after disembarking with luggage. They must also advise what cruise line they have arrived on.
o Shuttle runs every 15-60 minutes
o Distance to locations – 10 minutes
o Transportation is provided to return to the Cruise line at the end of rental also.
o Office address – Melbourne (Cape Canaveral), 6799 N Atlantic Ave, Cape Canaveral, 32920. Tel: 321 799 2620
o Hours, Mon – Sun 07:30 – 15:30
• SiriusXM is the country's premier satellite radio entertainment provider. SiriusXM delivers over 130 channels of satellite radio throughout the North America. There are 60 original channels of commercial free music, 60 channels of news, sports, entertainment and 11 channels of live traffic and weather (20 major metro areas).
• A daily charge of $7.99 USD per full or partial day
• We operate a shuttle service to transport renters between Dollar locations and Kissimmee Hotels.
• It is a courtesy shuttle and we pick up from all hotels within a 7 to 10 mile from our resort locations (tour participating, Orlando).
• The number for clients to call locally for the shuttle service is our reservation centre - (001) 407 583 8000, where they can arrange collection from their hotel to the local Dollar location to collect their vehicle.
• The shuttle service is available 7 days a week from 8:30am - 4:30pm.
• Free shuttle service - there is no cost to tour rentals.
• Available on request in ski areas of Salt Lake City, Boise, Albuquerque, Denver and Colorado Springs and on the following vehicles only C, D, F, L, T & T6.
• Payable locally from $18.00 USD per day, maximum of $126.00 USD per rental plus local taxes and fees.
• There may be a local surcharge imposed by the state. Any such charges are payable at the time of collection, unless stated as being included in the net rates. Optional items such as child seats, one way rental fees, GPS plus items not included in the net rate (voucher) are subject to local taxes and fees. Products purchased at the rental counter are subject to all applicable federal, state and local taxes, fees, charges and surcharges.
• If any additional federal, state, local taxes, fees, charges or surcharges are imposed during the term of this contract, or, if there is a modification to these, such additions or modifications will be charged to the client at the counter.
• List of Taxes, Fees and other charges consists of, but is not limited to, the following:
o SALES TAXES: Sales taxes vary between cities and states ranging from approximately 0% to 30%.
o SURCHARGES: Surcharges vary by state, city and location.
o CONCESSION RECOVERY FEE: Concession Recovery Fees are charged unless prohibited by law. These fees assist in covering all or part of the average concession fees plus the additional cost of doing business. Concession Recovery Fees can apply to but are not limited to Airports, Hotels, FBO's and Train Station locations. They apply on the prepaid portion of the rental and on any and all products purchased at the rental counter.
o VEHICLE LICENSE FEES: Vehicle License Fees vary by state and vehicle type.
o ENERGY SURCHARGE: The cost of energy needed to support our business operations, to offset the cost of utilities, bus fuel, oil and grease, etc. $1.49 USD per rental where it is not prohibited by law.
o CUSTOMER FACILITY CHARGES (CFC): This is an additional charge by the airports to offset the operation of a consolidated car rental facility or bus system at the airport. Varies by location between $0.31 - $10.00 USD per day / $0.30 - $19.00 USD per rental
o BUSING FEE: Is a charge imposed by the company to recover amounts paid towards the operation of a consolidated car rental bus system at the airport. These are above the costs paid through the CFC and is not government mandated. Varies by location $3.40 - $4.49 USD per rental.
The minimum age for all renters is 20 (Age differential charge applies for age 20-24) select specialty vehicle classes where the renter must be age 25 to rent (see below for exceptions).
Young Renter rentals are limited to car classes: A, B, C, D, F, G, I, Q4, U, L, T, R, M.
The Young Renter Fee is $29.00 per day for all U.S. locations (see below for exceptions).
Minimum Age Exceptions
Renters 20-24 years of age in New York and New Jersey $35.00 per day for: A, B, C, D, F. $45.00 for: G, I, U, L, Q4, T, R, M
Rentals in New York, Michigan, and the Province of Quebec - The minimum rental age is 18 with an Age Differential charge.
Renters age 18 - 19 may rent under the following conditions:
Car classes A - F only is $52.00 per day. In Michigan individuals between ages, 18-24 may be signed on as AAO’S only.
Rates are non-discountable and may be increased in jurisdictions that during the period covered by this agreement change the tax rate, local surcharge
If any provision of this agreement conflicts with applicable national or local laws,then the provisions of such laws shall apply to the extent necessary to comply with these laws.
• Renters may upgrade to another class of vehicle at the time of rental (subject to availability).
• Upgrades are based on supply and demand and renter shall pay directly to Company all charges for such upgrades.
• During the winter season (1 October through 1 April) we provide our fleet with all season tires, ice scrapper or snow brush, de-icer washer fluid, radiator anti-freeze at winter level and emergency road service at no extra cost. Local regulations in certain conditions may override this from time to time.
Damage Liability-Theft Liability Excess:
• No Excess
Emergency Sickness Protection (ESP):
• Optional protection available only to Non-US citizens who possess a valid non-U.S. passport at the time of rental. It provides certain medical benefits for some sicknesses for the renter and any person who is a member of the renter's traveling party. Additional covered persons must also possess a valid non-U.S. passport and must have written proof that they are a member of the renter's traveling party. Not available at all locations.
• ESP provides coverage up to $10,000 USD per covered person for the reasonable and customary cost of necessary medical care for a covered sickness, including: medical or surgical treatment, hospital services, supplies, x-rays and lab fees, local ambulance, visits to a physician's office. ( There is a $100 USD deductible per person per sickness).
• Maximum $2,500 USD for dental treatment (any dental care must be related to a sickness).
o No routine dental care will be covered.
• Exclusions: we will not pay medical expenses benefits for any treatment or services for sickness that is caused by, or results from sickness where the insured's trip to the host country is undertaken for treatment or advice for such sickness, except as provided in the Policy.
o Pre-Existing Conditions
o Any treatment, services or supplies received by the Insured that are incurred or received while he or she is in his or her own country.
o Losses resulting from an accident, hernia, appendicitis, cardiovascular disease, cancers, tumors, tuberculosis, organ transplant, congenital conditions, deviated septum.
o Cosmetic surgery, dental care, sexually transmitted diseases, birth control, fertility/infertility treatment, pregnancy, miscarriage, abortion and emotional or mental disorders of any kind.
o Expenses for eyeglasses, contact lenses, or hearing aids.
o Emergency Sickness Protection is available in the US.
Loss Damage Waiver (LDW):
• In most states, in the event of any other loss or damage to the car, regardless of fault, customer's financial responsibility extends to the full value of the car at the time of rental, less its salvage value, plus expenses for towing, storage and impound fees, diminution of the value of the car as determined by Hertz, an administrative charge, and a charge for loss of use, regardless of fleet utilization. If customer's responsibility differs in the state in which the customer rents, it will be stated in Paragraph 4 of the Rental Agreement.
• Loss Damage Waiver (LDW) is an optional service that relieves the customer of all responsibility for the loss of or damage to the rental car, provided the car is used in accordance with the Rental Agreement.
• When a customer purchases LDW (which is not insurance) the customer will not be held responsible for damages to the car in the event that any damage should occur, provided the damage was not the result of a prohibited use of the vehicle.
• Liability Protection is addressed in some detail in the Terms and Conditions of the applicable Rental Agreement. Essentially, Liability Protection, if provided by 'Dollar or Thrifty', provides limited protection against:
o Bodily Injury Liability - The legal responsibility of the customer, an Authorized Operator (AO), or an Additional Authorized Operator (AAO) for bodily injury or death to a *Third Party arising from an accident where the driver of the Hertz vehicle may be at fault.
Third Party - Generally, anyone to whom the customer, Authorized Operator or Additional Authorized Operator causes injury or damage as a result of an accident involving a Hertz vehicle.
o Property Damage Liability - The legal responsibility of the customer, an Authorized Operator (AO), or an Additional Authorized Operator (AAO) for damage to the property of a Third Party arising from an accident where the driver of the Hertz vehicle may be at fault.
• Where permitted by law, no liability protection is provided under the terms of the Rental Agreement from claims of injury by others against you resulting from an accident with the rental car. Some locations provide Primary Liability Protection under the Rental Agreement, but in those situations where liability protection is provided, such protection is no more than the minimum limits required by individual state law.
Liability Insurance Supplement (LIS):
• Optional protection that provides additional liability protection for the customer, Authorized Operator(s), or Additional Authorized Operator(s) if an accident occurs.
• Combines the features of Primary Liability Protection with an excess liability policy to provide protection up to a combined single limit of $1,000,000 per accident for third party bodily injury and / or property damage claims.
• LIS Coverage also includes up to $1,000,000 of Uninsured / Underinsured Motorist Protection.
• Primary protection, regardless of the state in which accident occurs.
• LIS product will be priced between $12.34 - $18.85 USD per day plus taxes and fees (varies by state), where not included in the rate.
• Premium Roadside Service (PERS):
o If Premium Emergency Roadside Service is purchased, costs are covered up to $1,000 for services such as keys locked in the car, lost keys, dead batteries resulting from lights being left on, and spare tire mounting.
o In addition, PERS includes a 90-minute roadside service guarantee.
o It also covers travel interruption reimbursements up to $1,000 per rental for incremental travel expenses incurred when the vehicle is disabled in an accident and we cannot provide a replacement vehicle within 3 hours.
o Cost is $8.99 USD per day plus taxes and fees (effective April 1, 2017).
o This towing and support service is country specific so would only include coverage when travelling within the US or Canada.
o PERS does not apply in Mexico but the Mexican Insurance will assist with breakdown issues.
Personal Accident Insurance (PAI):
• Personal Accident Insurance (PAI) allows customer to elect accidental death and accident medical expense coverage for renter and passengers during the rental period of the vehicle. If this coverage is accepted, the benefits for the renter will apply to all accidental injuries during the rental period, the renter is covered in or out of the rental vehicle. Passenger(s) are covered while entering, exiting, or occupying the rental vehicle.
• Added at the time of collection $6.99 USD per day (except NY which is $2.95 USD a day) plus taxes and fees.
|PAI Coverage Benefits Schedule||Renter||Each Passenger|
|Accidental Death||$175,000 USD||$17,500 USD|
|Accidental Medical Expenses Not to Exceed:||$2,500 USD||$2,500 USD|
|Ambulance Expense Not Exceed||$250||$250|
|New York||Accidental Medical Expenses Not to Exceed:||$3,500||$3,500|
|Ambulance Expense Not Exceed||$150||$150|
• Total Benefit for any one accident is limited to $225,000 USD. Rentals originating in the State of Mississippi do not have a single accident limit of $225,000 USD.
• Renter is covered 24 hours a day, in or out of the vehicle, during the rental term.
• Passengers are covered riding in, entering or exiting the rented vehicle.
• Exclusions - PAI does not cover loss or injury that is caused by, or results from - Suicide or attempted suicide, intentionally self-inflicted injury, War or any act of war, whether declared or not. Commission of, or attempt to commit, a felony, an assault or other illegal activity. Flight in, boarding, or alighting from an Aircraft. The insured being under the influence of drugs or intoxicants, unless taken under the advice of a Doctor. Repair, replacement, examinations for prescriptions, or the fitting of eyeglasses or contact lenses. Pregnancy, childbirth, or miscarriage. Injury sustained while participating in a prearranged or organized race or testing of a vehicle.
Personal Effects Coverage (PEC):
• Provides coverage to applicable limits for covered personal effects which incur a covered loss or are damages while renting:
|Personal effects owned by you and immediate family |
travelling with you
|Up to $600 USD per person / |
$500 USD (NY)
|Maximum coverage for all claims during any rental||$1,800 USD /|
$1,500 USD (NY)
• Exclusions – PEC does not cover loss or damage due to theft unless reported to the police or competent authority. Any loss or damage directly or indirectly caused by declared or undeclared war or any act thereof. Loss or damage due to moth, vermin, wear and tear, gradual deterioration, mechanical or electrical failure or inherent vice. Property while in the care, custody, or control of any common carrier.
• Both the PAI and PEC coverage pay in addition to any other policies that may cover the renter or covered parties.
• NOTE: PAI and PEC are not available separately and must be taken in combination.