Download the FREE VroomVroomVroom App
Decatur Car Rental Comparison
Decatur is the largest city and the county seat of Macon County in the state of Illinois. The city is sometimes called the Soybean Capital of the World, was founded in 1823 and is located along the Sangamon River and Lake Decatur in Central Illinois. Decatur Illinois has a population of 81.500 according to the 2010 census. Decatur Illinois is a classic Midwest USA small city situated with homes and park areas facing Lake Decatur, as well as many historic brick buildings downtown. Decatur Illinois is a great place for a short holiday or a weekend getaway.
Top Attractions Within Decatur Illinois
Children's Museum of Illinois. The museum has a collection of ever changing exhibits designed to challenge chidlren's minds in the arts and sciences using hands-on learning. You can experience flying in a plane, climbing a sculpture called Luckey's chamber or even have your child imagine that he is a paramedic rushing a patient to the hospital. It is a great place, where children can learn a lot of new interesting things about the world that surrounds them.
Decatur Illinois Scovill Zoo. Nestled along the shores of Lake Decatur, Scovill Zoo is home to more than 500 animals spanning six continents. Animal lovers of all ages can come and visit South African cheetas, Australian Wallabies, golden lions and many other exotic animals. There is also a specially designed petting zoo for the children, where they can feed and touch all kinds of animals, under the costant surveillance of the staff.
Oglesby Mansion. The house was built in the Italianate style with a low pitched roof and a widow's walk. This two story house is a historical building that takes tourists back to the beginning of the 19th century, hence they have the chance to get a glimpse of how life was in the past. The house was restored and today is one of the most visited attractions in Decatur Illinois. Even today, the house remains an important landmark of Decatur Illinois that must not eb missed should you be in the surrounding area.
Top 5 Things to Do in Decatur
Decatur is the biggest city of Macon County in Illinois. The city, known as "The Soybean Capital of the World", was founded in 1823 and is located in Central Illinois.
1. Relive life on a prairie farm: The Rock Springs Center for Environmental Discovery is a restored 1860s prairie farm, this place has a visitors' center, a museum and a lookout tower, furthermore it also has fishing ponds, hiking trails, biking tracks, cross-country skiing, naturalist-led programs, team-trust courses and a picnic area.
2. Take the children to a zoo: Overlooking Lake Decatur, Scovill Zoo has more than 400 animals from all over the world at this fifteen-acre zoo. It also has an educational and visitor center with a gift shop, restrooms, and conference room with an outdoor amphitheater.
3. Go horse riding: For people who are interested in riding, Big Creek Riding Stables offers private and group horse riding lessons and trail riding. Listed horse shows, rodeos, team penning and roping competitions held all over the year. The staff is very helpful and they spend a lot of time showing people around and answering questions.
4. See a stately brick mansion: This is a stately brick mansion that was constructed in 1876, the year of the United States centenary. The completely restored mansion is famous for its stylish fireplaces, plasterwork, woodwork and etched and stained glass.
5. Tour a governor's mansion: Governor Oglesby Mansion is an Italianate designed home that was built in 1874. It features U.S. Senator and three-time governor of Illinois Oglesby's, unique library which has been renovated with furnishings of the gilded age.
United States, Illinois, United States
Other locations near Decatur