Compare a Dependable Car Rental in Florence - Save Time and Money
Here are some reasons why renting a car is a must when visiting Florence
Florence is located in Alabama, United States. The spectacular city actually is the county seat of Laudersale County, being one of the most important and the largest cities in the area. With a population of about 36.700 residents, Florence Alabama has an area of 25 square miles (64.8 square kilometers). Florence is also known under the name of "The Shoals". Throughout the years, Florence Alabama has known an impressive development, currently being considered one of the most important economical areas in the state. Florence was incorporated as a city in 1826. Nowadays, Florence Alabama, is an important tourist destination, due to the many attractions that can be visited here, but also the numerous events which take place in the city, every year. With a car rental, you can easily access some of the top attractions listed below.
The Kennedy-Douglass Center for the Arts is one of the best places to enjoy cultural activities in Florence, Alabama. Here you will be able to visit numerous exhibits and attend a series of cultural events. The building in which the arts center is located is also really impressive, being listed as a national historic place. Five other museums can be visited in Florence, including the Indian Mound and Museum and the Children's Museum of the Shoals, both exhibiting important collections and historical displays.
The Sam Philis Music Celebration is one of the most important festivals which take place in Florence every year. In fact, Florence, Alabama, is considered to be the home of many such events. The George Lindsey Film Festival has been held in the past nine years to honor the famous actor, drawing numerous visitors who come to Florence to enjoy the shows. W.C. Handy Music Festival, Trail of Tears Remembrance Motorcycle Ride and First Fridays in Florence are other popular festivals of the city.
Cox Creek Park is one of the most beautiful parks in Florence. Here, you will be able to find numerous playground areas for children, by also tennis courts and skate areas. In Florence, you will have the opportunity to admire beautiful views, while enjoying your favorite outdoor activities in some of the most popular parks of the city, such as Martin Park, McFarland Park or Wilson Park.
Top 5 Things to do in Florence
The Italian surveyor Ferdinand Sannoner named this place after Florence city in Italy. The city is situated in the northwestern corner of the State of Alabama and is the County Seat of the Lauderdale County. It is the birthplace of W.C. Handy the “Father of the Blues” and producer Sam Mills who discovered Elvis Presley. There is lot to see and do in Florence.
1. Tour the museums: There are a number of museums in Florence that are worth spending some time in. There are; The Kennedy-Douglass Center for the Arts, the Indian Mound and Museum, Pope's Tavern and especially for children; the Children's Museum of the Shoals.
2. Watch a Film Festival: Florence is home to a number of festivals and one cannot miss out on catching at least one of them. For film, there is the George Lindsay/UNA film festival. This festival has been going on for nine years and is a treat for movie fans.
3. Witness the Annual Trail of Tears: Should one visit Florence in September, there is a commemorative motorcycle ride that takes place called the “Trail of Tears” as it commemorates the final resting point of the Cherokee Indians before they were shipped out to Oklahoma.
4. Join the music festival: Annually Florence has the W.C. Handy Music Festival in which some of the leading musical artists and singers participate. This festival honors the “Father of the Blues” who used to live here.
5. Enjoy a medieval faire: Florence celebrates the “Renaissance City” fair annually and recreates the atmosphere of a medieval fair. Various performers perform during this festival and visitors are invited to dress in clothes of that period.