Johnstown Car Rental Comparison
Johnstown is a great city in the state of Pennsylvania, United States, located more exactly in Cambria County. The history of Johnstown began in 1770, when the city was settled. Since then, Johnstown developed hugely, especially due to the steel, coal and iron industries. Now, Johnstown is one of the 10 top cities in the state. Currently, there are 20.978 people living in Johnstown, according to the 2010 census, making it the major city of the Johnstown Metropolitan Area. Nevertheless, Johnstown is also a great tourist destination, because the city is filled with cultural and recreational possibilities, which will show everyone a good time.
Top Attractions within Johnstown
The Pasquerilla Performing Arts Center is a great venue located here in Johnstown. The venue is equipped with 1000 seats and other supporting administrative places, which is why most events are being held here. This amazing auditorium is also home to the Southern Alleghenies Museum, the Johnstown Symphony Orchestra and the Johnstown Concert Ballet.
Point Stadium is the place that sports passionates will love, in particular. The arena was built in 1962 and had a capacity of 17.000 seats. However, the stadium was demolished in 2005, making room for the new and improved Point Stadium, which now is home to all the major sport competitions.
Flood City Music Festival is one of the most popular events in Johnstown. This musical festival began in the 1990s, after the neighboring National Folk Festival was held in 1992. Since then, the festival has been held on a yearly basis, usually in August. Many people gather here every year to enjoy the acoustic music and have some fun. The name of the festival comes from the fact that Johnstown was affected by numerous floods throughout the years.
The Johnstown Flood Museum is an unbelievable facility, dedicated to the 3 major floods which affected Johnstown. The museum simply draws you into those events. Nevertheless, you can also learn many interesting facts about the history and culture of Johnstown, because there are numerous galleries and artifacts put on display.
Top 5 Things to Do in Johnstown
Johnstown is a city located in Cambria County, Pennsylvania and is subject to frequent flooding. First settled in 1770, incorporation of the town took place in 1800, however actual recognition did not take place until the mid 19th century.
1. Visit the Pasquerilla Performing Arts Center: This concert hall, at the University of Pittsburgh, can accommodate an audience of 1,000 and is home to the Johnstown Symphony Orchestra and other cultural groups. The building has been actively staging cultural and arts events since it opened in 1991.
2. Re-discover the past at Point Stadium: Point Stadium has been hosting sports events since 1926 and has a capacity of 17,000. The unusual rectangular shape of the field makes it an ideal venue for baseball games.
3. Go back in history at the Johnstown Flood Museum: This museum is the ideal venue to learn about the floods that have, in the past, constantly plagued the area. The museum houses various models that attempt to reveal many hidden secrets of the region.
4. Pay a visit to Grandview Cemetery: The 235 acre cemetery, which was opened in 1885, became the burial site for the, approximately, 2,209 victims of the major Johnstown Flood which took place in 1889.
5. Do not miss out on Glades Court Mall: This shopping center houses six retail stores and features an 8,000sq.ft. model railway display. The stores offer designer brands, home decor, children's books, toys, art items, coffee shop and a restaurant.