If you're traveling to San Luis Obispo on vacation, you probably already know that it's a great place to have a rental car. In this fine city, there are tons of interesting places to go, and many fun and exciting attractions to visit in the San Luis Obispo area. A cheap car rental can give you the freedom to zip back and forth between your hotel and all the cool places you want to go, and with VroomVroomVroom on your side, you'll have a guaranteed reservation with one of the best rental car chains in the USA such as Avis, Budget, Hertz or Enterprise - and that means no problems, no complications and no hassles!
San Luis Obispo is a city on the Central Coast of California, roughly halfway between Los Angeles and San Francisco. Over 45 thousand Americans live in “San Luis” (as many locals call it, shortening the name) and another 220 thousand live in its surrounding county. A popular destination – or just a stopping point – for car enthusiasts in the 20th century, San Luis Obispo's Milestone Mo-Tel was perhaps the first ever motel (a hotel designed to accommodate motorists). Actor Zac Efron of “High School Musical” was born in San Luis Obispo.
Why book a car rental in San Luis Obispo with VroomVroomVroom?
We are the experts on finding the best rates in San Luis Obispo. Our customers love to book with us and here are the top reasons.
Since San Luis Obispo enjoys a nice weather with its cool Mediterranean climate - any given time of the year is the best time to visit this city. Generally, summers in San Luis Obispo are warm, while winters are cool. Temperatures are high during summertime from June to September, while October and November are the months of fall. Springtime is from February through May. If you want to experience snowfall in San Luis Obispo, plan your trip from December through January.
Driving time from San Luis Obispo, CA to San Fancisco, CA via US-101 N should not be longer than four hours (232 miles), or less if you drive non-stop in a rental car. While the driving time from San Luis Obispo, CA to Los Angeles, CA is around three hours (189.1 miles) via US-101 S . Nearest cities and towns in San Luis Obispo are Grover Beach, Atascadero, Santa Maria, Lompoc, Goleta and Greenfield. Are you ready to explore the city in style? Don't forget to read our How to Rent a Car in the USA for a stress-free rental car experience.
San Luis Obispo Children's Museum is a family attraction in the city. This San Luis Obispo museum has one floor filled with galleries and collections and one with a museum store, a replica of a volcano and exploration caves. There are at least 25 interactive exhibits inside, and the experience of visiting this museum is very educational for the kids, who will learn a lot about the environment and the world, in a fun & pleasant way.
Bubblegum Alley is a funny attraction and a landmark of the City of San Luis Obispo. On the walls near the alley, there is an accumulation of chewed bubble gum stuck there by those passing through the area. The tradition of sticking chewed bubblegum on the walls started in the 1950s. In 1970, the alley was cleaned because some locals complained it's disgusting -- which it is! -- but another attempt of cleaning it in 1996 failed, because the area was already considered an attraction of the city.
Mother's Tavern is a restaurant located in downtown San Luis Obispo. You'll be welcomed by the friendly staff, and the tavern is filled with great music through the week, and karaoke on the weekend. The homestyle food is always fresh, warm and tasty.
Locals refer to San Luis Obispo as “SLO” country, where people can kick back, relax and enjoy a change of pace from the hectic daily life. But don't be fooled, you can have a lot of fun here!
1. Bike Tour of the City. Hop on a bike and take one of the dozens of tours San Luis Obispo has to offer throughout the area. With rides including City to the Sea, Ride to Hell and Big Sur Surprise, visitors can explore the area at their own pace, in their own way.
2. Hearst Castle. Take a tour of Hearst Castle, built for famous miner turned publisher William Randolph Hearst. The central attraction is the 5 storey National Geographic Theater, which shows a film about the castle.
3. Sub Sea Tours. Sub Sea Tours offers a variety of excursions for tourists. The Sub tour begins as a surface tour focused on sea lions, otters and other creatures. The second half of the tour allows guests to see a kelp forest and the sea life within it from beneath the surface.
4. The Monarch Butterfly Park, This is located south in Pismo Beach, is one of the most popular attractions in the area. From October to February, thousands of Monarch butterflies migrate here from all over the continent to escape the winter cold.
5. Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa. Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa was founded in 1772 as a way to spread Christianity to the vast regions of the New World. Today, it is still open to the public for tours and is still a parish church for the town.
This SLO little town is anything but, relax, unwind and get ready for some action with a San Luis Obispo cheap rental car.