Sonora is a small, yet very charming city located in the state of California, with a total population of 4.423 residents. Sonora was founded by the Mexican miners, during the California Gold Rush. Once, Sonora was a booming centre of industry and trade in California. Most of the gold was extracted, leaving all the miners to use more complex and expensive techniques. Over the years, Sonora became an urban spot, where people come here to get a break from big cities. Sonora is an ideal holiday destination, that offers a wide range of accommodation and venues.
Top Attractions Within Sonora
Veterans Memorial Hall& Military Museum is the best place in Sonora, where the rich history of the war veterans is celebrated. The exhibits consist in documents, photographs and newspaper articles, as well as uniforms and personal letters, about local and national heroes. Some of the most unique displays include a rare plaque from the Spanish American War and exact models of military equipment. The curator is willing to answer every question and provide additional information on the exhibits.
Diamondback Grill is the place in Sonora, where you can eat all-American food, that includes a wide variety of grill, juicy half-pound burgers, marinated chicken salads and goat cheese stuffed chiles. Every item on the menu is made right there, using only the best and freshest ingredients. The ambiance is very pleasant, due to the vaulted ceilings, the exposed original rock and plaster walls. The venue has also got a separate wine bar, where customers can taste some of the finest wines.
Christopher's Ristorante is a unique place in Sonora, where you will benefit from the best Italian menus. The restaurant is located in the historic Sonora Days Inn Hotel building. The building adds some flavour to your fooding experience. The menu is varied and it contains the finest European and the most exotic Asian dishes. The dishes come in smaller portions for the children. They also have a fine selection of wines, that go hand in hand with the exquisite dishes..
Sonora was originally founded by Mexican workers as a gold mining camp. Now it is situated in the Tuolumne County in California's Gold country. Also the city happens to be the county seat of Tuolumne County. Sonora is the only incorporated community in the Tuolumne County.
1. Columbia and Railway town 1897: this is located very close to the city of Sonora. It is only a short drive away and is a must see for everyone who is visiting the city of Sonora.
2. Central Sierra Arts Council and the other art Studios: these studios feature the brilliant and exceptional works of local artists. Visitors can enjoy live theatre and year round events and festivals in Sonora, popularly known as the regional center for arts and entertainment.
3. Dragoon Gulch Trail: to enjoy the natural beauty of Sonora which changes with every changing season one must definitely hike the Dragon Gulch Trail. The trail allows the visitors to experience the beautiful oak woodlands surrounding the city. The visitors can also engage in other outdoor activities like skiing, hiking, swimming, and horseback riding.
4. Woods creek Rotary Park: this is a picnic area lined with elms and a year round creek is a great place for any occasion. The park also has a small play ground for kids, BBQ pits and small tables for entertaining.
5. The Prospector Park: this park is situated off the Bradford Street and it has a unique collection of historic mining equipment. Perfect for history enthusiasts or those interested in the Gold rush.