State College is a home rule municipality located in Centre County, Pennsylvania, United States of America. State College is also known as "Happy Valley" and is the main city of the Pennsylvania State Unviersity. According to recent statistics, State College has about 43.000 residents and an area of 4.5 square miles. The history of State College is related to that of the actual college which was founded in 1855 and named back then Farmers' High School of Pennsylvania. After this, in 1896, State College Borough was incorporated and the school was renamed in 1953, Pennsylvania State University, shortly called Penn State. Notable residents include actor Joshua Leonard, journalist Gretchen Morgenson and dancer Arron Scott.
Top Attractions within State College
First Night State College is celebrated each year on New Year's eve. The event takes place downtown State College and in the nearby University Park campus. During this celebration, a collection of ice sculptures is displayed, live music concerts are performed and vaudeville performances are held.
Arts Fest, also known as the Central Pennsylvania Festival of Arts is held in State College each July. The festival lasts for 5 days and features artists from all over the United States of America. Many streets are closed and work as displays venues for all kinds of works of art. The event attracts more than 125.000 visitors each year to the city.
Blue-White Weekend is another event of State College, held annually in April. This includes a carnival, fireworks, cook-outs, live entertainment and various parades. Football games and an autograph session held by the students on the Beaver Stadium are also important parts of this weekend celebration of State College.
Zola New World Bistro is a modern restaurant located in State College. The atmosphere is casual and has an urban chic charm. The menus change each month, this way, visitors can always try something new. The bar is focused on crafted cocktails and delicious martinis.
The State College area is sometimes called as the happy valley. This place is demographically and economically dominated by the Pennsylvania State University which is also known as the Penn State. Things that can be done by the tourists at the State College are:
1. Visit the Shaver's Creek Environment Center: This is the center where the tourists will get a chance to explore the natural trails of the area. The tourists can even enjoy watching the various cultural and natural exhibits that are on a display in the center.
2. Experience the Bellefonte Historical Railroad: This society began its operation from 1984 and since then it has grown tremendously. It now encompasses a distance of about 70 miles and cover areas from Milesburg to Dale Summit and Tyrone to Lock Haven.
3. Go to Mount Nittany Vineyard and Winery: This is the place where tourists can taste wines of as many as 15 to 25 varieties. Mount Nittany is also very popular for its pictorial settings and beautiful locations. In the spring season the tourists can even taste some berry wines.
4. Spend sometime at the Centre Furnace Mansion: Now, serving as the headquarters of the Centre County Historical Society, the mansion was once the residence of the ironmaster, Moses Thompson. The mansion has been reconstructed to restore its charm and grandeur.
5. Have fun at Nittany Valley Running Club: Organizing both competitive and non competitive running events, the club extends a warm welcome to every one. The tourists can enjoy and even participate in various running events which include field, track and walking.