Dumfries is located in the Prince William County, in the State of Virginia. As a small town, Dumfries has a population of almost 5,000 inhabitants. Dumfries was founded in 1749, although settlement and buildings began to appear as of the 1690s. The town carries the name of the Scotish town of Dumfries, where founder John Graham was born.
Did you know that Dumfries was chartered on May 11, 1749?
Best Way to Travel: Car
#1 Thing to Do: Leesylvania State Park
#2 Thing to Do: Prince William County Historic Preservation Division
#3 Thing to Do: Virginia Society Sons of the American Revolution Vassar
Fun Fact: Dumfries is the oldest continuously chartered town in the state of Virginia.
Dumfries is a part of Prince Williams County in the northern part of Virginia. Dumfries is the oldest chartered town in the state of Virginia. The town is 1.63 square miles in size and is considered part of the Washington, DC, metro area.
1. Spring Festival: Just in time for the Easter Bunny! Attend the Spring Festival and enjoy an egg hunt, face painting, a petting zoo, and more. Admission is free.
2. Dine at Tim's Rivershoe Restaurant and Crabhouse: This family restaurant sits along the Potomac River and is a great place to go if you would like to try your hand at picking hard shell crabs. Tim's is open year round and offers both indoor and outdoor seating.
3. Tour the Weems-Botts Museum: Find out everything that you want to know about the oldest chartered town in Virginia and two of the famous men who lived there, Reverend Mason Locke Weems and attorney Benjamin Botts. This museum, which is also said to be haunted, is situated at the corner of Cameron and Dukes Streets and is open Tuesday –Saturday from 10am-4pm.
4. The Henderson House: This historic home was built in 1750 and purchased by
Alexander Henderson, the “Father of the Chain Store”, in 1790. The home stayed in the Henderson family until the death of Mrs. Henderson in 1816 and later became a hospital during the Civil War. During the Civil War part of the home was torn away by cannon fire.
5. Garrison Park: This small park is the perfect place to enjoy the outdoors. Picnic tables, two pavilions, a basketball court, playground, and little league fields can be found at this park that overlooks the Quantico Creek.