Finding a Cheap Car Rental in Knoxville is Now Easy
You can compare Knoxville car rentals from Avis, Budget, Enterprise, and Hertz at VroomVroomVroom easily. Whether you are looking for the cheapest rental cars or searching for a specific vehicle, our car rental comparison website can assist you in finding the perfect ride for your next trip.
Knoxville is located in East Tennessee along the Tennessee River. It is the site of the headquarters of the Tennessee Valley Authority, as well as the main campus of the University of Tennessee. It was the first capital of Tennessee until 1817. This is the third largest city in Tennessee and is also the county seat of Knox County. This demure and imposing city manages to stand out from the others because of its rich history, unparalell culture and heritage.
You'll really want to have a car rental in Knoxville, because it has all the attractions of a big city -- but it's just a short drive away from popular theme parks, beautiful mountains and national parks!
Reasons to book a rental car in Knoxville at VroomVroomVroom
At VroomVroomVroom, we are the experts in car rental and people book with us every day for several reasons. Here are a few examples:
- We don't charge you any booking and modification fees.
- There is no cancellation fee up to 48 hours prior to pickup.
- Your personal information is always secured by our site's high SSL encryption.
- It not only saves you money when you compare rental cars, it also saves you time.
- You are sure to get a great deal! Read our Price Promise for more details.
- More choices in vehicles since our list usually ranges from economy to luxury.
- More pick up and drop off locations to choose from.
- Experience excellent customer care. Contact us when you need assistance.
Driving tips in Knoxville
Travelers visiting Knoxville, as well as those vacationing in nearby Pigeon Forge (the city where Dollywood is located) or the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, often fly into McGhee Tyson Airport.
This airport handles over 100 thousand take-offs and landings per year, and is located in the city of Alcoa. The airport is about 14 miles – a 15-20 minute drive in your car rental – south of downtown Knoxville. There are 7 car rental companies available at Knoxville McGhee Tyson, including Alamo, Avis, Budget, Enterprise, Hertz, National and Thrifty.
Here are some great activities for you to enjoy in Knoxville, Tennessee!
When you're in Knoxville, your car rental will allow you to explore all the great attractions of this wonderful city. You must not miss Ijams Nature Center, so drive your rental car over to Island Home Avenue to visit 275 acres of protected wildlife habitat!
The cheap car rental that you book with us will also allow you to have a lot of fun in the city. Market Square is the top-rated attraction these days in Knoxville, featuring cool retail shops, great restaurants and bars, a park where you can relax, and a beautiful, calming fountain!If you're in Knoxville for a business trip or on a family vacation, your car rental will provide you with a lot of freedom to do whatever you want to do with your free time. If you enjoy fine arts and culture, you'll probably enjoy an evening at the Clarence Brown Theatre – the stage performances there are really top notch! Another great place to visit in your affordable car rental is the East Tennessee History Center, a museum where you can experience a very interesting walk into Tennessee's past.
Knoxville has a lot of great restaurants for you to enjoy! Drive you car rental to The French Market for a wonderful breakfast. It's the top-rated place to eat in Knoxville! Or if you love a great slice of pizza, try Hard Knox Pizza for the best-reviewed New York-style, wood fired pizza in the area! Another wonderful place to have lunch or dinner is Tomato Head on Market Square – for deli sandwiches, pizza, and much more, drive your car rental over there to have a great time and a great meal!
If you enjoy a fine meal at a classy restaurant, the Northshore Brasserie is another top-reviewed eatery in Knoxville. Drive your affordable car rental down to Northshore Drive to experience a wonderful dining experience from their menu featuring French and Belgian cuisines! Other delicious (if somewhat expensive) places to eat in Knoxville are the delicious steakhouses Brazeiros and Connors Steak & Seafood. If you're in the mood for Italian food, fire up your car rental and take your business associates or your family to Puleo's Grille – get some great food at a great value!
Top 5 Things to Do in Knoxville
1. Visit the James White Fort: The James White Fort was established in 1786, by James White who was a militia officer during American revolutionary war. Besides the imposing structure of this fort, tourists make a stop here to enjoy open hearth cooking and other traditional activities.
2. Visit the Old City: The Old City located in downtown Knoxville is a perfect place to get the feel of the real life of Knoxville city. The major attractions present themselves in the form of bars, restaurants and clubs
3. Have family outing at the Knoxville zoo: Animal lovers can get an experience of a lifetime with family and friends at the Knoxville zoo. Home to a number of birds, reptiles and animals, this zoo will help you connect with the wild side of world in a better way.
4. Reach dazzling heights at the Sunsphere Tower: The Sunsphere Tower is a Hexagonal steel structure standing 266 feet high. Created for the 1982 World's Fair, this theme structure is a major tourist attraction.
5. Experience the power of eternity at the Old Gray cemetery: This is one of the largest cemeteries in Knoxville. The best time to visit this cemetery and seek its mysteries is during the Annual lantern and carriage tour.
Knoxville Through History & More Useful Info
Did You Know… That one of the oldest structures left by humans in the Knoxville area is a burial mound -- thought to be just over a thousand years old -- on the University of Tennessee campus?
Did You Know… That the Cherokees called the area “kuwanda'talun'yi”, meaning “Mulberry Place”?
Did You Know… That in 1901, train robber Harvey “Kid Curry” Logan – one of Butch Cassidy's gang called “The Wild Bunch” – shot two deputy sheriffs on Knoxville's Central Avenue? He later escaped from the city jail on a horse, which he had stolen from the sheriff!
Did You Know… That Knoxville's population has been very stable? It grew 2.5% from 1970 to 2010.
Drive your car rental down to Gay Street in Knoxville to see this fine city's two tallest buildings. The First Tennessee Plaza is 27 stories tall, while the Riverview Tower is 24 stories!
Without a doubt, if you want to see the most famous structure in the area, hop in your car rental and visit the site of the Sunsphere, a steel tower built for the World's Fair that came to Knoxville in 1982! Back in 1996, an episode of the popular animated TV show The Simpsons featured Bart and his friends renting a car and taking a road trip to Knoxville. They had read an old guide book about the city's 1982 World's Fair, but when they arrived they found out that the fair was over, and the Sunsphere was used for wig storage!
Another great attraction in Knoxville is the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame. Drive your car rental to this amazing museum of sports history, featuring many great exhibits and plenty of fun, hands-on activities for the kids, or for the kid in all of us! Locals will tell you that The Hall was built in this city due to the success of legendary coach Pat Summitt and her University of Tennessee women's basketball teams.
If you're a sports lover but basketball isn't your thing, you might want to attend a game at the University of Tennessee's huge college football venue, Neyland Stadium. (NFL Super Bowl champions Reggie White and Peyton Manning both played their college careers as UT Volunteers!) In 2013, new head coach Butch Jones will try to steer the Vols through the tough waters of Southeastern Conference football!
You can drive your car rental to several other great sporting events in the area, such as a Southern Professional Hockey League game featuring the Knoxville Ice Bears, or drive your car rental to the nearby town of Kodak for a minor league baseball game with the Tennessee Smokies, a Double-A farm team for the Chicago Cubs!