Roslyn Car Rental Comparison: Strike a deal and bag a cool car rental
Fun Fact: Roslyn was once called Hempstead Harbor. In Sept. 7, 1844, it was changed to Roslyn because of the postal confusion regarding all the other “Hempstead” in Long Island.
Roslyn is located on the north shore of Long Island in Nassau County, in the State of New York. As a village, Roslyn has a population which only numbers 2,770 inhabitants. The village of Roslyn is included in the municipality of the North Hempstead Town. The original name of Roslyn was Hempstead Harbor, but it was changed in 1844 to avoid postal confusions.
Top Attractions within Roslyn
The Roslyn Village Historic District was built in the 19th century and it includes a large number of houses designed in Federal, Revival and Greek architectural styles. The district was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1987. Visitors can walk around the district to admire some of the oldest buildings of the community. In addition to visiting, shopping and dining may be considered, as there are venues of interest along the Main Street of the district.
The Nassau County Museum of Art is located in Roslyn. The museum was established here in 1969 and has since provided a source for people interested in the developments of the artistic domain in the region. The collections of art are rotated over the course of each year and they revolve on American movements and American and European art history. Periodic exhibitions are sometimes included in the offer provided by the Nassau County Museum of Art.
The Christopher Morley Park is a great place to spend time outside in Roslyn. The amenities included here are suitable for people to engage in variety of games and sports, which will keep them fit and active even during their vacation. The sports which can be played in the Christopher Morley Park are: tennis, basketball, handball, baseball and volleyball. Children can use the playground of the park. During the summer, people can use the public pool in the park, while during the winter, they can take advantage of the wide ice skating rink.
The Bistro Citron is one of the most recommended places in which you can eat in Roslyn. There are differentiated menus for the times of the day in which you wish to eat and a variety of deserts and drinks to choose from.
Top 5 Things to Do in Roslyn
1. Nassau County Museum of Art: This museum of fine arts is situated on 145 acres of landscaped grounds and includes eight exhibits of world renowned artists of along with a collection of plants not usually found on Long Island. The museum also boasts a collection of miniature rooms in the Tee Ridder Miniatures Museum.
2. Roslyn Claremont Hotel: One of the many features which set Roslyn Claremont Hotel apart is its attention to detail. In addition, it also has spacious guest rooms, some with sitting rooms with fireplaces and king size four poster canopy beds.
3. Bryant Library: Established in 1878 the Bryant Library is oldest library on Long Island. It has an extensive collection on local authors Christopher Morley and William Cullen Bryant.
4. Christopher Morley Park: This 98 acre park is home to author Christopher Morley's “Knothole” one room cabin in which the author wrote most of his literary works. The most intriguing place in the cabin is the “dymaxion” bathroom built by his friend Buckminster Fuller.
5. Cedarmere: The home of poet William Cullen Bryant (1794-1878) is part of the New York state Underground Railroad trail. This 7 acre property is considered one of the most beautifully serene places on the North Shore of Long Island.