Sanibel is an island city in Southwest Florida with an estimated 2012 population of 6,741 people. Sanibel Island, like Captiva Island directly to its north, is a sandy barrier island just off the Florida coast in the Gulf of Mexico, and near Cape Coral and Fort Myers. Since 1963, Sanibel has been linked to the mainland by a causeway (bridge). This connection led to growth and development, but the local government restricted major developments in 1974. For examples, buildings taller than 2 stories and fast food restaurants are prohibited. Today Sanibel is a popular tourist destination, and the island is dotted with vacation and rental homes. (Also, there is a Dairy Queen and a Subway, which were operating before the ban.) Sanibel Island is perhaps best known for its shell-covered beaches – and the collectors they attract – and for the J.N. “Ding” Darling National Wildlife Refuge.
The Hertz Sanibel Service Center, 1015 Periwinkle Way, is currently the only rental car location on Sanibel. (Hertz also operates the single depot on Captiva.) If you want to find the cheapest prices on car rental in Sanibel, Captiva, or anywhere in Southwest Florida, VroomVroomVroom is here to help! We're the experts in cheap rental car rate comparison and we help people save money on rental cars, trucks and SUVs every day.
Our system will show you all the vehicles available on Sanibel for the days that you require one, and you can find the car rental that's just right for you and your family… maybe you'd like to book cheap car rental rates, or perhaps you're looking to splurge and get a cool, sporty car or a big, safe pickup truck to transport the kids back and forth between a rental house and the beach? We can help you to find whatever you're looking for, and to save money!
Mad Hatter Restaurant is located in Sanibel and has great food for many different tastes. The menu is amazing, the service is great, and the decor is simple, elegant and nice. All the appetizers are delicious and the portions are huge, but prices are reasonable. Many locals celebrate their birthday or other private events here. This is a restaurant in Sanibel that's excellent and worth visiting more than once! The parking is plentiful and kids' meals, discounts, and interesting specialties are also available.
Bowman's Beach is located in Sanibel. This clean, wonderful beach is a place where tourists can take advantage of the tranquillity of the island. The bridge over the beach allows people to admire this relaxing area completely. Picnic spots and tables are also available. The beach is very beautiful! If you brought your pet, dogs are allowed on the beach if leashed. Watersports facilities can be also found here, as well as many retail shops in the nearby commercial area. These are great opportunities for buying souvenirs or anything else tourists may need during a vacation.
Captiva Islandis amazing. Located north of Sanibel and connected safely by a roadway, this island is popular for its coconut palms, blue water, and soft sand. There are also many beautiful birds here to admire. Tourists can also sunbathe, take long walks and enjoy their trip. It's a place great for the entire family, regardless of age. Anyone that will visit this beach will feel like it's Heaven. A beautiful trip to Sanibel is not complete without visiting this neighbor island. Hope to see you there!
Sanibel is a Lee County, Florida city located on Sanibel Island. Bird watchers and birds flock to this beautiful island when the north starts to have cool weather. The island is the refuge of birds and home to other wildlife of the region. The most famous attraction of this place is the J.N. Darling Natural Wildlife Refuge.
1. J.N. Darling Natural Wildlife Refuge: A visit to Sanibel must include the J.N. Darling Natural Wildlife Refuge, spread over a huge area of 5,200 acres. The mangroves of this place balance the delicate ecosystem of the region. Thousands of migratory birds flock to the refuge every year due to its unique ecosystem. This place is heaven for enthusiastic bird watchers.
2. Bailey Matthews Shell Museum: The museum is located on Captiva Road and is named after two local families. When one visits the museum, one comes to know why Sanibel has become the most preferred shelling place. The museum features shells in their scientific, historical, and artistic perspectives.
3. Safari in the Everglades: The safari includes regular boat rides, airboat rides, strolls to see the wildlife of the region, and pleasant nature walks.
4. Historical Village and Museum: This museum acquaints the visitors with the cultural history of Sanibel Island. There are photographs, live presentations, and other cultural exhibits that show how the island evolved.
5. The lighthouse of Sanibel: The Sanibel lighthouse is the first lighthouse to come up on the coast of Florida. A visit to this place is a must for travelers while on their tour of Sanibel.
|Unfortunately we do not have search enabled at Sanibel. |
Please try one of the following nearby locations:
|Book At||Miles/km to Sanibel||Directions to Sanibel||Latitude||Longitude|
|Fort Myers Beach||5/7||Directions||26.45202||-81.94814|
|S Fort Myers||16/26||Directions||26.641935||-81.87252|
|Fort Myers - Southwest Florida International Airport||17/28||Directions||26.528106||-81.755245|
|*Distance is calculated aerial. Actual will be different.|