Finding a Reliable Car Rental in Torrington - Fast & Easy
Torrington is a wonderful city located in Connecticut, United States. The largest city in Litchfield County, Torrington has an area of 40.4 square miles and a population that surpasses the number of 35,900 residents, according to the 2010 census. A former mill town, Torrington was first settled in 1735 and incorporated as a city only in 1923. Torrington is a lovely place to visit and if you are going to be in this area soon make sure to include into your route some of its most beautiful sights of interest.
5 Things You Must Do in Torrington
Torrington is a town of about 35,000 located due west of Hartford, and on the Naugatuck River. Incorporated in 1740, much of the town was wiped out in a 1955 flood. However, enough of the 1930's buildings remained that Torrington's downtown area was designated a national historic district in 1988.
1. Visit the Warner Theater. One of the historic downtown buildings that survived the flood, it was constructed by Warner Studios in 1931 as a “movie palace”. No multi-plex here, the building has been restored to its former glory is now a performing arts center.
2. Come to the Feis (pronounced “fesh”). The Torrington Irish Feis is held in October each year. 400 Irish dancers descend on the city for food, fun and footwork. Walk around and steep yourself in Irish culture, watch some dancing, and enjoy the show.
3. Visit a park. The town covers an area of 40 square miles, 450 acres of which is in parks. In the fall the trees turn the fabulous colors for which New England is known. Stroll through John A. Minetto or Burr Pond State Park, or visit the William L. Besse Municipal Swimming Pool.
4. Come to the Artwell Gallery in downtown Torrington. All types of art are featured at exhibitions, special events and live performances. Visit often to experience the full range of what this lovely gallery has to offer.
5. Want more excitement? Visit Lime Rock Park for road racing. Auto shows, Le Mans series, and even NASCAR events are held here, so if you want to race, this is the place!
Top Attractions within Torrington
The Warner Theater is one of the most impressive cultural venues of the whole area. In fact, this is a 1700 seat theater initially built as a cinema by the Warner Brothers. It first opened in 1931, being built in an art deco, modernistic architectural style. Nowadays, the Warner Theater is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Coe Memorial Park is a place of a scenic beauty. This Torrington park was founded in 1908. This is the location in which numerous important events of the city are held. In the Coe Memorial Park Botanical Gardens you will be able to see flowers and beautiful plant species.
Burr Pond State Park is the place to be at in Torrington if you love water spots. Surrounded by a beautiful lake, the park has great amenities for swimming and boating. In the park you can have a relaxing picnic, enjoy the beach or you can simply plan a walk to admire the scenic views.
Backstage Restaurant is a lovely venue located in Torrington. Since the day of its opening, this place has been in the top preferences of both visitors and inhabitants of Torrington. The food here is absolutely delicious, while the service is always fast and friendly.
Fuji Japanese Restaurant is a great spot to eat in if you like sushi. The menu of this place is varied, so you will be able to taste many delicious Japanese specialties. The atmosphere is great, while the prices are amazingly affordable, so there is no way this place will not become your favorite Torrington restaurant.