Palo Alto, California lies in the heart of Silicone Valley and is an excellent place to watch the elite work and play, with fantastic dining and a vibrant nightlife thrown in. With a car rental, you can easily explore the city and its surrounding area. Below are some of the top attractions in Palo Alto.
1. The Barbie Museum. Love her or hate her, but Barbie is big in Palo Alto. The Barbie Museum (or Hall of Fame) offers a chance to get to know this 'cultural icon' and her history. It is located at 545 Ramona Street.
2. Steve Jobs' Garage. This garage is one of the most famous garage's of all time. Why should a garage be famous at all, you ask? Because this is where Apple Computer's founder Steve Jobs invented the Mac. He was just a kid at the time, but the invention has shaped our modern world and now this humble little garage is one of the best attractions in the area. It's at 2066 Crist Drive, you can get there with a rental car.
3. Campus at Stanford University. No trip is complete without taking in the Campus at Stanford University. The Palo Alto tree is the emblem of the university and the campus boasts a wide range of tours, activities and cultural activities.
4. Cantor Arts Center. Take in some art at the renowned Cantor Arts Center, which is on the University Campus. This is a real cultural delight, located just off Palm Drive, on Museum Way. The Center has an impressive 24 galleries and in addition a wonderful sculpture garden with Rodin bronzes (right), a café and a bookshop.
5. Junior Museum. For the young there is a 'junior' museum combined with a zoo, located on Middlefield Road. This houses an eclectic and interesting array of animals and an extremely interactive museum which encourages children (and adults too!) to develop a passion for both animals and creativity.
If you're on the holy grail of technology trails, spend most of your time in Silicon Valley, Palo Alto and San Jose. Both of these towns will really tickle your power button. Rent a cheap hire car to get between the two places.