Located in Los Angles County of California is the city of Duarte. It was initially inhabited by Native Americans of the Tongva tribe. The Spanish were the first to come here, opening the first mission in 1771 and taught the Tongva people agriculture. This city was named after the land that was granted to a former Mexican corporal and his wife. Duarte is known as a bedroom community. The San Gabriel River and the quarry operations isolate this city.
1. Go for a hike: There are a number of hiking trails that one can take from Duarte to Fish Canyon Falls, Mt. Bliss and Monrovia Peak.
2. Visit a museum: The Duarte Historical Society has played an active role in setting up this museum with a collection of historical items that have been collected from this area. They also have created a large bronze horse with Andres Duarte riding it. This is a large public art project and the society hopes to make it an icon for the city.
3. Donate blood at the City of Hope: The City of Hope was established in 1928 as a tent hospital for tuberculosis patients. It has over the years become one of the leading cancer research hospitals and if one wants to donate blood for a worthy, cause this is the place to visit.
4. Catch a movie at a drive in: The Big City Drive-in Theater is one of the old attractions of the town and one can still catch a drive-in movie here.
5. Take a swim: The city council has taken over and renovated the old municipal swimming pool which is now known as Aqualand.