National Terms & Conditions
The below T&Cs (including prices and taxes) are provided by National and may change without notice to VroomVroomVroom.com.
This quote includes:
- all taxes, airport taxes and surcharges if applicable,
- Stated mileage amount (generally unlimited, see below for extra mileage charges)
- Vehicle Registration fee,
- One way fees if applicable,
- All vehicle fees related to the booking e.g. Vehicle drop fees, all recovery fees, premium location fees, corporate location fees wherever applicable.
This quote will not include:
- Insurance (See next paragraph*)
- Age Surcharge (age 21 - 24) ($25.00/day excluding taxes)
- Child seats or booster seats (can be purchased after confirmation for generally $9.99 US per day with a maximum of $49.99 US per rental).
- Extra miles (if your rental has limited mileage, each additional mile over the limit will be charged at $0.25).
- Any extras signed up for upon arrival, e.g. vehicle snow equipment, GPS.
- All extras and additional services will attract additional local percentage taxes and surcharges. Prices below are
- exclusive of these as they vary state to state.
Modifying BookingModifying your booking may change the original quoted price. For details on how to modify your booking please click the 'My Booking' tab above.
* Important information about car rental insuranceFor US citizens
Some US credit cards and personal car insurance policies do provide car rental insurance so please check with your credit card provider and personal auto insurance policy for details.
Visiting the US from another country
It is illegal to drive in the US without car insurance. Your travel insurance probably only covers the excess so check the fine print in your travel insurance policy.
For more information please see our U.S. car rental insurance guide.
See below for more National Terms and Conditions
OR see National for further details
All extras and additional services will attract additional local percentage taxes and surcharges. Prices below are exclusive of these as they vary state to state.
Driver's License RequirementsBelow are National's driver's license requirement policies:
- In order to rent a National vehicle, a valid driver's license from the customer's country of residence is required and must be presented at time of rental.
- The driver's license must be valid for the entire rental period.
- International renters must present a valid license from their country of residence. If the driver's license is in a language other than English, an International Driver's Permit is required in conjunction with the country of residence driver's license.
- Customers will not be allowed to rent a vehicle with only an International Driver's Permit.
- No learner permits or photocopies are accepted. Temporary driver's licenses are accepted only if for change of residence or replacement of lost or stolen license. If no photo ID, the description on the license must match that of the renter.
- Japanese travelers may use the Japanese Driver's License Translation Service, which replaces the need for an International Driver's Permit.
- At Phoenix area airports and rental locations, renters with driver's licenses issued outside of the United States or its territories must produce a valid Passport. US Territories include American Samoa, Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, the Federated States of Micronesia, and the Midway Islands.
- At all Nevada airports and rental locations, renters with driver's licenses issued outside of the United States or its territories must produce a valid Passport. US Territories include American Samoa, Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, the Federated States of Micronesia, and the Midway Islands.
Age RequirementThe primary renter of the vehicle must be 25 years of age, or for select corporate contracts and international tour accounts, the minimum age is 21.
Rental rates may be higher for renters under age 25.
Renters between 21-24 may pay an Underage Surcharge of up to $35.00 per day (plus local tax and surcharges).
New York state: The minimum age for NY is 18 years of age. An $66.00 per day additional charge applies to 18-20 aged renters and a $23.50 per day additional charge applies to 21-24 aged renters.
Michigan: The minimum age for MI is 18 years of age. A $26.00 per day additional charge applies to 18-20 aged renters and a $14.00 per day additional charge applies to 21-24 aged renters.
Additional DriversAll additional drivers must meet ALL rental qualifications in regard to age and driving record as well as all other standard rental qualifications.
- Must appear at the rental counter with the primary renter.
- Must present a valid driver's license.
- Must sign the rental agreement.
As a customer, you have a choice as to how you would like to pay for fuel. You will be provided with two options, both starting with a full tank of fuel in your vehicle at the time of rental.
- Option 1: Upfront Fuel - This option allows a renter to pay for the full tank of gas at the time of rental and return the tank empty. No refunds will be given for unused gas.
- Option 2: Return Full or Pay National for Gas - This option allows a renter to return the vehicle with a full tank of gas or pay National at the end of the rental for gas used but not replaced. Price per gallon/litre will be higher than local fuel prices.
Important Note: For Europeans booking in the US and Canada, unless included in the rate package, payment for this tank will be required at time of rental. No refund will be given for fuel purchased but not used.
The total upfront fuel charge reflected is an estimate based on current prices and the average tank size for the car class reserved. This charge may change upon time of rental.
Payment Policy - Credit cards
At the time of rental, the renter must present their credit card with available credit, in their own name, and the signature on the back must match the name imprinted on the card.
Credit Cards honored:
- American Express®
- Diner's Club International®
- Discover® Network
- Credit Cards honored in Canada:
- American Express®
- Discover® Network
Payment Policy - Debit CardsDebit cards are considered to be any non-credit card bearing the VISA, MasterCard or Discover Card logo. Any other non-credit card without the VISA, MasterCard or Discover Card logo is not accepted.
Please review the following guidelines:
When renting in the U.S., A credit card in the name of the renter must be presented at the time of rental; otherwise, Debit/Check cards are accepted along with proof of a confirmed round trip travel ticket (airline, cruise ship or train).
Without proof of round trip ticket, debit or check cards are only accepted as a form of payment at time of return.
A credit card in the name of the renter must be presented at the time of pick-up.
Insurance Options Offered by NationalPlease note: These are offered by the supplier direct - at the car rental pickup or by contacting:
National Reservations: 1(877)222-9058
Loss Damage Waiver (LDW)&
LDW IS NOT INSURANCE. THE PURCHASE OF LDW IS OPTIONAL AND NOT REQUIRED IN ORDER TO RENT A VEHICLE.
Renter may purchase optional LDW from Owner for an additional fee. If Renter purchases LDW, Owner agrees, subject to the actions that invalidate LDW listed below, to contractually waive Renter's responsibility for all or part of the cost of damage to, loss or theft of, Vehicle or any part or accessory and related costs regardless of fault or negligence, depending on the LDW plan chosen. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary and unless prohibited by law, LDW DOES NOT PROVIDE PROTECTION FOR LOST KEYS, KEY FOBS, TRANSPONDERS OR OPTIONAL ACCESSORIES. LDW does not apply to damage occurring in Mexico.
In most locations, Owner offers the following two (2) levels of LDW protection: *Loss Damage Waiver- Owner will pay for all loss or damage to the Vehicle. *Loss Damage Waiver 3000- Owner will pay the first $3,000 of loss or damage. Renter will pay for all loss or damage over $3,000. When deciding whether or not to purchase LDW, you may wish to check with your insurance representative or credit card company to determine whether, in the event of damage to, or theft of, Vehicle, you have coverage or protection for such damage or theft and the amount of your deductible or out-of-pocket risk.
PERSONAL ACCIDENT INSURANCE (PAI)Personal Accident Insurance / Personal Effects Coverage (PAI/PEC):
(Where available): If selected and paid for, PAI provides Renter and Renter's passengers with Accidental Death, Accident Medical Expenses and Ambulance Expense benefits. PEC insures the personal effects of Renter, or any member of Renter's immediate family who permanently resides in Renter's household and who is traveling with Renter, against risks of loss or damage while in transit or in a building, (other than your personal residence) or locked in the Vehicle. PAI & PEC are available for an additional charge as stipulated on page 1 of the Rental Agreement. "Renter" is the person who signs the Rental Agreement as Renter.
$600 per person; $1,800 maximum coverage for all covered individuals during the Rental Period. PEC benefits apply to personal effects belonging to Renter, or any member of renter's immediate family who permanently resides in Renter's household and who is traveling with Renter, against risks of loss or damage while in transit or in a building, (other than your personal residence) or locked in the Vehicle.
To file PAI/PEC claims, obtain a claim form from any rental office of Owner, complete it and return it with a copy of the Rental Agreement to: Xchanging, P.O. Box 94950, Cleveland, OH 44101-4950 Phone: 1 888 515-3132 Fax: 1-440-914-2903
Responsibility for Rental Vehicle
National holds the renter responsible for the safe return of the rental vehicle in the same condition as it was rented, except for normal wear and tear.
Unless prohibited by law, a renter may be held responsible for all damages, including loss of use, should the vehicle be damaged in an accident, stolen or vandalized. This is the case regardless of fault. Whether who is at fault in the accident, the renter may be asked to pay for the damage up to and including the total cost of replacing the vehicle in case of a total wreck or loss.
Be sure any estimated damage to the vehicle has been recorded properly before leaving the rental location.
Cross Border Policy
Vehicles rented in the US can be driven throughout the US and Canada. Most locations do not allow travel into Mexico. If you wish to travel into Mexico, you will be required to purchase additional insurance to cover the vehicle while in Mexico. Please contact the branch directly to determine limitations and availability.
Mexico insurance is required to drive into Mexico, and must be purchased from a location on the border prior to entering Mexico. Renters must be at least 25 years old to be eligible. The Mexico insurance price depends on the type of vehicle rented: $35 per day for Economy through Full Size cars, $40 per day for Minivans and Small SUVs, and $50 per day for 12 or 15 Passenger vans (only available for specific corporate accounts). All other vehicles cannot be driven into Mexico.