Thrifty Terms & Conditions
The below T&Cs (including prices and taxes) are provided by Thrifty and may change without notice to VroomVroomVroom.com.
This quote includes:
- Stamp duty,
- Signified miles amount (generally unlimited, see below for extra mileage charge)
- Vehicle Registration,
- One way fees if applicable,
- Airport taxes and surcharges if applicable,
- All vehicle fees related to the booking, eg. Vehicle drop fees, all recovery fees, premium location fees, corporate location fees wherever applicable.
This quote will not include
- Insurance (See next paragraph*)
- Child Seats or booster seats (can be purchased after confirmation at around $12.00 per seat, per day)
- Extra mile travel (if your rental is limited, the limit can not be extended)
- The age surcharge, if ages 20 to 24 (18 to 24 in Michigan and New York)
- Any extras signed up for upon arrival, eg. Excess reductions.
- All extras and additional services will attract additional local percentage taxes and surcharges. Prices below are exclusive of these as they vary state to state.
Modifying your booking may change the original quoted price. For details on how to modify your booking please click the 'My Booking' tab above.
* Important information about car rental insurance
For US citizens
Some US credit cards and personal car insurance policies do provide car rental insurance so please check with your credit card provider and personal auto insurance policy for details.
Visiting the US from another country
It is illegal to drive in the US without car insurance. Your travel insurance probably only covers the excess so check the fine print in your travel insurance policy.
For more information please see our U.S. car rental insurance guide.
See below for more Thrifty Terms and Conditions
OR see Thrifty for further details
All extras and additional services will attract additional local percentage taxes and surcharges. Prices below are exclusive of these as they vary state to state.
GENERAL RENTAL REQUIREMENTS
These are the General Rental Requirements of THRIFTY® Car Rental. The Rental Company operating the Thrifty Car Rental Location ("Thrifty") may have other Requirements. The Requirements of the Rental Location will control check the 'Local' Terms and Conditions posted on the Web Page of the Renting Location for more Information about their Terms and Conditions. For Rentals outside of the United States and Canada, please refer to the Local Terms and Conditions where you intend to rent the vehicle.
If you are 25+ than there is no additional charge; if you're age is 20 to 24 then there is an additional charge of $25.00- $35.00 depending on the location.
Drivers age 18 to 20 years old in New York and Michigan will be charged $72.99 per day plus local tax and surcharge.
The vehicle may be driven only by an authorized driver. An authorized driver is the renter and any additional person who appears at the time of rental, and signs the rental agreement. All authorized drivers must satisfy our age requirements, have a valid driver's license, a major credit card in their own name, and fulfill our other qualifications, which vary by location. Employers and co-employees of renters renting on corporate rate plans, if properly licensed and meet our age requirements, are authorized to drive the Vehicle while acting within the scope of their employment duties.
See our credit requirements below. The authorized driver and any additional authorized drivers may be subject to a driver record check (see below). No other persons are authorized to drive the vehicle.
Additional Authorized Drivers and Fees
All additional authorized drivers are required to qualify to drive the vehicle. To qualify, THRIFTY requires all additional drivers, including spouses, to satisfy our minimum age requirements, have a valid drivers license, and pay an additional driver fee. However, the following additional drivers do not need to pay an additional driver fee as long as they meet our minimum age requirements and have a valid drivers license:
- (1) government renters on official orders,
- (2) corporate account customers on corporate rate plans, and
- (3) drivers/companions of physically impaired customers.
The additional driver may also be subject to a driver record check and an underage driver's fee. (See below). Because the requirements vary by location, please refer to the location's own Terms and Conditions for specific information on additional driver fees at the location where you intend to rent.
To qualify to rent the THRIFTY vehicle, the renter must present at the time of rental a major credit card or debit card (see Debit Card Usage below) in the renter's own name with available credit. A hold will be placed on the renter's credit card for the estimated amount of the rental plus 15% or a minimum amount, whichever is greater, as determined by the location where you intend to rent.
The hold will be removed at the end of the rental when the final charges are settled. Because the requirements vary by location, please refer to the location's Terms & Conditions for specific information on credit qualifications and requirements where you intend to rent a THRIFTY vehicle.
Payment Policy - Debit Card
· At Airport Locations debit cards will be accepted to qualify for rental when the customer provides proof of return airline flight to coincide with the rental and two (2) valid forms of identification.
· At Off Airport Locations debit cards will be accepted to qualify for rental when the customer has made a reservation made at least one (1) day in advance of the rental pick up date, they are at least 25 years old, and present two (2) valid forms of identification.
· There are exceptions to the general policy:
· Debit cards are not accepted to qualify for the rental for Dream Cars and Shelby GT-H Mustang
· Debit cards are not accepted at time of rental in following cities and surrounding areas, New York Metropolitan (NY, NJ, CT), Hartford, CT, Philadelphia, PA, Boston, MA, Manchester, NH and Detroit, MI.
· Debit cards may continue to be used to pay for rental charges at time of return
A debit/check card is considered to be any non-credit card bearing the Visa or MasterCard logo. Any other non-credit card without the Visa or MasterCard logo is not accepted. Prepaid credit cards, gift cards and debit/check cards are accepted for payment at the end of the rental.
US to Canada: The renter will need to advise the rental counter if they intend to drive into Canada. You must have a valid license and rental record. Canadian law does require that everyone entering the country have a passport, so everyone in the vehicle must have the proper identification. Additional and/or different restrictions may apply in certain states. See your Rental Agreement for additional information, at the time of rental.
US to Mexico: This depends on the location and depot you will be collecting your rental. You may find this information in the Thrifty TNC link on the Book Page when placing a booking.
RENTALS 30 DAYS OR LONGER: For rentals 30 days or longer, the customer must return the vehicle for maintenance or to renew the contract every 30 days to the location.
- Available Driving Aids: If the renter will require driving aids to operate a vehicle, please contact us at 1-800-847-4389. This will ensure availability of equipment and allow THRIFTY personnel to install such equipment prior to the rental.
- Pick-up: We would also ask that you call 1-800-847-4389 prior to your arrival so that we may pick you and your traveling companion up, if any, upon arrival at the airport. At most locations, courtesy telephones are also available to contact us for pick-up.
- Additional Authorized Drivers: If a traveling companion shall serve as the driver during the rental, please advise the THRIFTY representative at the time of rental and pick-up. There is no additional charge for an additional authorized driver for non-driving disabled renters.
United States Citizens and U.S. Military Personnel: A renter or any additional authorized driver who is a citizen of the United States, must present at the time of rental:
- (1)a driver's license issued by any state, territory or possession of the United States, and valid for the entire rental period
- (2) a temporary driver's license, valid for the entire rental period
- (3) a traffic citation issued as a temporary license, valid for the entire rental period (the court date being the expiration date) and a second form of identification with signature (excluding the credit card used for rental),
- (4) a valid U.S. military identification card plus an expired driver's license for active duty U.S. military personnel in those states where active duty U.S. military can drive on an expired driver's license.
- (5) A valid driver's license issued by a province or territory of Canada
- (6) A foreign driver's license* issued by the country of residence of the renter and additional drivers. If the driver's license in not in English, the renter and drivers will be required to present both the foreign issued driver's license and a current International Driver's Permit (“IDP”); or, if from Japan, a Japanese Translation Service. An IDP does not give a person the right to drive, but provides a certified translation of the valid foreign driver's license. An IDP can be obtained in the driver's country of residence only with a valid driver's license. An IDP (or certified translation) without the foreign issued driver's license is not acceptable.
*If the foreign issued driver's license is from a country where “permanent” or “non-expiring” driver's licenses are issued, the renter and any additional drivers will also be required to show their passport, visa or other current U.S. issued documentation at the beginning of the rental authorizing the renter or driver to be present in the USA at the time of rental.
- Child Safety Seats: For an additional charge of around $12.00 plus local tax and surcharge, depending on THRIFTY location, infant, toddler, and child safety seats are available at many THRIFTY locations.
- Ski Racks: Ski racks are available at some THRIFTY locations where travel to ski resorts is anticipated during the winter season. There is an additional charge for ski racks.
- Global Positioning System: Many THRIFTY locations offer the StreetPilot® GPS navigator for use the during the rental for an additional daily charge. The small, dashboard-mounted device is programmed for multiple languages and contains mapping details of the entire U.S. with nearly six million points of interest, including hotels, restaurants, gas stations, ATMs and tourist attractions.
At most THRIFTY locations, the renter may incur one or more of the following charges and fees: (i) an (airport) concession recovery fee or off-airport access fee; (ii) an (airport) consolidated facility charge; plus, frequent flyer surcharges, and vehicle license fees which are the estimated average per day per vehicle portion of our total annual vehicle taxes, licensing, titling, and registration costs, and other governmental fees or charges on top of the daily rate and any optional products and services the renter selects.
These charges are calculated either as a per day or a per rental charge. R. New York Resident Surcharges:
Higher rental rates for New York City (Brooklyn, Bronx, and Queens) residents renting in New York, Newark, NJ, and Philadelphia may apply as follows:
- For Brooklyn residents, the rates will be $77 higher per day.
- For Bronx residents, the rates will be $65 higher per day.
- For Queens residents, the rates will be $7 higher per day.
Insurance Coverage offered by Thrifty
You may call 1-800-THRIFTY (847-4389) within the United States and Canada or 1-918-669-2168 outside the United States and Canada
Loss Damage Waiver (LDW)- If you accept LDW at the beginning of the rental (for an additional daily fee), your responsibility for loss of or damage to the vehicle is waived in full or in part (depending on the LDW plan accepted), provided the rental agreement is not violated. If declined, you will be fully responsible for all loss or damage to the vehicle, regardless of fault. Your personal automobile policy and some credit cards may provide coverage for these losses. LDW is not insurance or an insurance product.Some locations outside the U.S. require renters to purchase Theft coverage.
Supplemental Liability Insurance (SLI) - This optional coverage is available at many Thrifty locations. If available and accepted at the beginning of the rental, for an additional daily charge, the renter and any additional renter will be protected against third party auto liability at-fault claims for up to $1,000,000 if you are involved in an accident with other people. Unlike LDW, there are no credit card waivers for liability for a third party's injury or property damage. You should make sure you are adequately covered for claims by third parties either by your own personal or business automobile policy or by the car rental company.
Personal Passenger Protection (PPP) and Personal Effects Insurance (PEI) - PPP is optional coverage available at most Thrifty offices and covers accidental death and accidental medical expenses for the renter who signs electing to be covered under the policy. PEI is an optional coverage that will protect the personal effects of the renter while in the rental car. Both coverages have specific limits. Full details can be found at the rental counter. Check with your insurance agent regarding your own insurance policies on accidental death or medical expenses, or refer to your homeowner's policy regarding theft of your property.
Protection Plus (PP)- In Canada, where available, if you purchase PP, it will provide limited benefits to the authorized driver and passengers of the vehicle during the rental for accidental medical expenses, ambulance expenses and accidental death, repatriation, legal defense, emergency road service and mechanical breakdown towing benefits, and loss to personal belongings if certain conditions are met.